Hello

gillian w

Sep 9, 2013
Just joined as my mum as just been told she has early alzheimer's I know it will probley sound funny but talking to her it feel's like she not my old mum is this normal :(

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
Welcome Gillian.
Yes it is perfectly normal. I think the majority of people that post here would say the same. I know I did. It changes the people we love. Try to remember your dear mum is still there. Some days she will be more hidden than others.
I'm sorry your mum is living with this awful cruel disease. You will find loads of support and advise here. Please keep coming back.

toe-knee

Jun 13, 2013
w.g.c
sorry 2 here bout ur mum gillian,my mum has vascular dementia 4 6 years n im not going 2 pretend its easy,i wouldnt wish this nasty illness on my worst enemy, but plez remember 1 thing if nothin else, ive tried to do it all on my own 4 so long,but have relised its just not possible no matter how much u try, get as much help as u can from the beginning or she will become clingy with u n youll find it impossible makin a rod 4 ur own back,i know it sounds harsh but i found out the hard way, good luck, n hopefully u n mum can laugh about the silly things in the beginning like me n mum did, toe-knee xx

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
This disease is so awful. Someone described it to me as though their loved one has been taken over by an alien.

Perhaps that is going a bit far, but certainly they are not the person you knew.

The only blessing is that just now and again you get a glimpse of the person you remember.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Someone described it to me as though their loved one has been taken over by an alien.

Someone I knew said that before diagnosis, she almost thought her mother was possessed. The change in personality with dementia can be unbelievable. Social niceties can go out the window. My mother went from being a person who was very concerned about what people thought to a person who swore, screamed and used very derogatory and racist language. Not the person I knew.

It´s extremely difficult trying to learn to accept the behaviour is caused by the disease but it is.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Gillian and welcome to TP. I'm sorry to read about your mum's diagnosis but I'm glad you found this forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of help and support here.

I think it's true that people change as a result of dementia, some more than others I suppose. I'm lucky that my husband's basic personality has not really changed much.

lynniejoan

Sep 8, 2013
Just joined as my mum as just been told she has early alzheimer's I know it will probley sound funny but talking to her it feel's like she not my old mum is this normal :(

Hi Gillian

I can really sympathise sometimes I feel like someone has taken my lovely Mum away and given me a total stranger instead. You will get used to it in time and hopefully like me still get glimpses of how she used to be. Try and focus on the good times and remember to look after yourself and accept help and supprt, once I did that it made a huge difference to my relationship with my Mum.

gillian w

Sep 9, 2013
ty for that yes i want honest answer nothing sugar coated thats me xx thx again

:):)
sorry 2 here bout ur mum gillian,my mum has vascular dementia 4 6 years n im not going 2 pretend its easy,i wouldnt wish this nasty illness on my worst enemy, but plez remember 1 thing if nothin else, ive tried to do it all on my own 4 so long,but have relised its just not possible no matter how much u try, get as much help as u can from the beginning or she will become clingy with u n youll find it impossible makin a rod 4 ur own back,i know it sounds harsh but i found out the hard way, good luck, n hopefully u n mum can laugh about the silly things in the beginning like me n mum did, toe-knee xx

gillian w

Sep 9, 2013
Hi Gillian

I can really sympathise sometimes I feel like someone has taken my lovely Mum away and given me a total stranger instead. You will get used to it in time and hopefully like me still get glimpses of how she used to be. Try and focus on the good times and remember to look after yourself and accept help and supprt, once I did that it made a huge difference to my relationship with my Mum.

ty not helping ive been told i have fibromyalgia so i feel useless at times because of my pain etc .. mum has really changed if there was a big problem it goes over her head but some thing small she worries and she as got very nit picking some days you feel you can do nothing right :(