Hello

whatsgoingon

Jun 14, 2010
numbers

Please don't worry.It achieves nothing.We have to confront fears and deal with them.I know its hard and scary .In your head you are acting out the worse case scenario so can things be any worse?

There are so many types of dementias and so many drugs.New ideas are coming through all the time.Things can be done to slow the progress of the disease,if that is what is the problem.My mum had vascular dementia and I feel that if we had realised she had heart failure,the progress of the disease would have been slowed by heart failure drugs.

Please get a complete check up because there could be physical issues which need to be medicated.This could help the memory issues.It might be low thyroxin causing physical problems and then memory issues. etc.

You need a thorough assessment from a memory clinic and a complete blood screen and health check.Dont let your GP fob you off with treatment for depression.

You could download the mini mental examination and check your score.eg.Can you take 7 away from a hundred until you get down to nothing?

Your wife needs you to be strong and get help.If it is the worse case then you need to thing about directives for medical treatment or a living will.You need to think about an enduring power of attorney.These things need to be done whilst you have the capability.

Don't hide away in the cupboard from the beast.Go out and fight it!

you said >>>Can you take 7 away from a hundred until you get down to nothing? answer is NO I CANT :-(

whatsgoingon

Jun 14, 2010
DR's

Hi Whatsgoingon

Sorry to hear about your problems - reading through your posts I see that one of your health problems included recently suffering from meningitis B:

Memory impairment can be one of the many after-effects of Meningitis B - and sometimes it's temporary rather than permanent, but can take many months to resolve. It is a very serious infection which can take a long time to recover from, and obviously as it involves your brain its possible that your problems stem from that...:confused:

Try reading up on the after-effects - you might find that some of your other problems (anger/tiredness etc) could be part of the recovery process - this link is from the Meningitis Research Foundation's website:

http://www.meningitis.org/disease-info/after-effects

Try mentioning it to your Doctor - I don't know quite how long you've been struggling with memory issues, it may be that you noticed before you became unwell. If you read other posts on this site, infection often seems to make memory problems worse - but not always permanently it seems.:)

Good luck!

Dr feels its possible because of Meningitis, and also amount of ear operations and damaged facial nerves and nerves inside ears, i have averaged 2 operations+ a year since near birth, also had abcess on the brain....Dr feels that could be the problems...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
you said >>>Can you take 7 away from a hundred until you get down to nothing? answer is NO I CANT :-(

Neither can I and I don't have dementia!

What's the follow up re what your doctor said? Would any of the Alzheimer's meds help you - eg Aricept?

Izzy x

whatsgoingon

Jun 14, 2010
2morrow i think

Neither can I and I don't have dementia!

What's the follow up re what your doctor said? Would any of the Alzheimer's meds help you - eg Aricept?

Izzy x
2morrow I think I see consultant, I think he said, my wife knows I dont.. I laugh it off you know, Im told its not funny...am I wrong?

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Hi Whatsgoingon,

I hope the visit to the consultant is helpful.

Many years ago I developed an overactive thyroid. When this was happening, it crept up so slowly and took me over I didn't notice. I thought I was perfectly alright and being normal - my normal. It was only when people who knew me well and in whom I could trust to tell me the truth said that I was moody, temperamental and irritable I had to believe them, although I thought I was ok. I know this is unrelated, but perhaps its more about trusting your wife when she talks of some things you do that may be out of the ordinary, or different to what you used to do. She obviously cares about you very much and any actions she's taking like booking appointments to see doctors will be with your best interests at heart.

However, I do understand that it is also confusing to you what's happening. And sometimes laughing at it is the best way to deal with a difficult situation.... Whilst you may be finding everyday life a bit confusing, you're still managing to use the computer and send messages - so it's not all disappearing!

Look after yourself and take care - and rest when it's all too much.

Best wishes :)

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
I don't remember this thread when it was current. It was when my mum was very ill, so I wasn't online much then. I wish I had been. I would love to have wished him well and shared my admiration. What a courageous man.

Whatsgoingon...please, if you come back, do let us know how you are. I was so touched by your words, your fears, your courage and your honesty. I hope with all my heart that you, your wife and your sons are managing.

Will be thinking of you,