Hello

SharonK_51064

Jul 12, 2024
Good morning everyone,
I'm Sharon, 59 years old - my 91 year old father was diagnosed with late onset Alzheimers around 18 months ago. He is physically very fit and well, at present the only symptom is short term memory loss.
He has been prescribed donepezil and his memory doesnt appear to have got any worse since diagnosis.
Last Saturday 6 July, my mum passed away and the grief and shock of this has naturally affected him, but his confusion has worsened greatly, especially by evening when he is tired, and he keeps forgetting that she has passed and its heartbreaking to remind him and watch his pain as if he's hearing the news for the first time.

I am patiently and gently reminding him, he writes key points on a calendar and I have encouraged him to write a daily journal so he can read back on whats happened each day since she was in hospital. We have lit a candle each morning beside pictures of her.

Conversely, the Rabbi who he'd never met before came to the house to discuss the funeral service with us, and he has remembered her name (despite not remembering watching the England football match on the same day). So some information is being retained.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how else I (and my family) can help him come to terms with this loss (whilst also dealing with my own grief ). We also then need to consider how we move forward with his care as my mum did everything for him and not sure he can live alone.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @SharonK_51064

I’m so sorry for your loss. It must be incredibly difficult to deal with your own grief whilst also supporting your father.

I wondered if you would find this link useful-

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
So hard for you both. You may find your father would take comfort from the familiar traditional religious rituals of his childhood, even if he has not observed them more recently. I hope your friends and family and the rabbi will be able to support you both with this

SharonK_51064

Jul 12, 2024
Welcome to the forum @SharonK_51064

I’m so sorry for your loss. It must be incredibly difficult to deal with your own grief whilst also supporting your father.
Thanks Izzy, it really is hard. Thanks for that link, it has been useful. Taking one day at a time, hoping that time will help heal