Hello

SparklieKitty

May 1, 2024
Hi,
My Mum has Alzheimers and I'm struggling to support her. I am 3 hours drive away. I worry that I'm not doing this right or doing enough. And I'm struggling with sadness and guilt.
I'm also not sure she's getting the care she needs. She gets an annual review with the doctor, but nothing seems to improve. She was told to take her tablet at a different time and I think it's made things worse. She's tired and disorientated in the morning and just wants to watch DVDs all day. She used to be regularly monitored by the memory service, but that has stopped for this annual GP visit.
I feel weighed down with all of it and I'm worried I'm going to be ill and then I won't be able to care for her.
I'm on here to get some support and advice so I can support Mum, and help others if I can.
Thanks.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi,
My Mum has Alzheimers and I'm struggling to support her. I am 3 hours drive away. I worry that I'm not doing this right or doing enough. And I'm struggling with sadness and guilt.
I'm also not sure she's getting the care she needs. She gets an annual review with the doctor, but nothing seems to improve. She was told to take her tablet at a different time and I think it's made things worse. She's tired and disorientated in the morning and just wants to watch DVDs all day. She used to be regularly monitored by the memory service, but that has stopped for this annual GP visit.
I feel weighed down with all of it and I'm worried I'm going to be ill and then I won't be able to care for her.
I'm on here to get some support and advice so I can support Mum, and help others if I can.
Thanks.
the memory clinic tends to give it to the gp. mine doesnt really have a review of dementia like he does for other illness. just take it one day at a time. could always ask pharmacy when the tablet should be taken. if you tell us the name, others will know what worked best.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Hi there - it must be so, so hard trying to care from a distance. Does Mum have any carers going in who could keep you regularly updated as to how she is? Unfortunately being tired and being disorientated can be caused by Alzheimer's but there could also be other medical issues - has she had a GP check up of her general health lately?

SparklieKitty

May 1, 2024
Hi there - it must be so, so hard trying to care from a distance. Does Mum have any carers going in who could keep you regularly updated as to how she is? Unfortunately being tired and being disorientated can be caused by Alzheimer's but there could also be other medical issues - has she had a GP check up of her general health lately?
She does have a great carer that goes in 6 days a week and my brother goes often as well. Mum had a GP checkup recently. I couldn't go with her as I was working. My friend has private care for his father who has tested a number of tablets to help him. She has mirtazapine as she was getting anxious and I think it's knocking her out.

SparklieKitty

May 1, 2024
the memory clinic tends to give it to the gp. mine doesnt really have a review of dementia like he does for other illness. just take it one day at a time. could always ask pharmacy when the tablet should be taken. if you tell us the name, others will know what worked best.
At her last checkup Mum told the doctor how she was, the doctor then phoned the memory service, then Mum had to go back for the doctor to tell her what they had said. That seems a bit bonkers when we used to talk to the memory service directly. She's on donepezil. We spent ages getting her sorted taking it late afternoon. The Dr suggested taking it at night so she's changed to then.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do you know when she is taking the mirtazapine? It does have a sedative effect and is best taken in the evening

SparklieKitty

May 1, 2024
Mum is on Domepezil