Hello.

Katy5

Jan 8, 2010
Lincolnshire
I’m feeling very frightened at the moment and am waiting to see the nurse in ten days to potentially be seen by our local memory clinic.
What is the typical wait to get an appointment and will a brain scan be done?
Many thanks for any information.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
I’m feeling very frightened at the moment and am waiting to see the nurse in ten days to potentially be seen by our local memory clinic.
What is the typical wait to get an appointment and will a brain scan be done?
Many thanks for any information.
I am sorry you are scared, but I hope it turns out not to be what you are so scare of. In Dorchester wher I live, you need to see your GP first before a brain scan appointment is given. The waiting differs I gues from one NHS to another. Good luck, have faith, all will be well, We pray it will be so

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
How long is a piece of string, there is no one answer, sorry to sound so unhelpful but it really is a lottery depending on where you live from what I've read on here over the years.
A brain scan is a walk in the park, lie still while a machine goes clunk, been there, done that got the t shirt more than once but for a viral infection not AZ related.
Frankly I'd rather have another brain scan than a visit to the dentist, don't worry. K

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hi @Katy5 and I am sorry to read of your worries. As others have said, the appointment wait time for a memory clinic certainly varies from area to area I'm afraid. Any brain scan would normally be done once you've had the clinic appointment.
Saying, try not to worry, is probably not something you can do, but in this waiting time, try to do the things you enjoy doing and make the most of the here and now.
I wish you all the best, and do keep with us and let us know how you get on. This forum and it's members are here and wants to help if you need it.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hi @Katy5. Sorry to hear of your worrying time. We are just at the start of the testing process for my husband.
I think that @Gosling’s advice to make the most of the here and now is very good advice.
Who knows what’s ahead but today we can do things. I have just booked two short breaks for in the next couple of months. It will help to distract I thought and also just in case it’s not the best outcome, I just want to get on and do whatever we can do to enjoy life. I wish you well and I am sure that you will find great support along the way in this forum (as I have). Take care x

Katy5

Jan 8, 2010
Lincolnshire
Hello again everyone.
I really would like to know if you would realise yourself if you had dementia?
My initial appointment is with a nurse next Monday and I’m concerned about the outcome.
I am aware of my shortcomings though….. would this be the case if my lapses in memory were to be dementia related?
It has been a very difficult couple of years.
I really now need answers as to what is going on.
Is there anywhere online where you can see the sort of questions one would be asked?
Many thanks.

Last edited:

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
do not worry overly much, until you can get your memory tested by the GP. Unlike an exam you need not 'swat' or prepare yourself to know the answers to the questions beforehand either. Forgetfulness beyond just forgetting keys or names, for example or losing your way in a very familiar route, or maybe forgetting how to make something you have made regularly a hundred times before. Again, please just meet your nurse and get answers, just try not to worry, ok?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Katy5 I know that it is hard but try not to worry too much prior to your appointment, the nurse will guide you through the various steps. After you have seen her if you want to please come back and let us know how you got on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yourmindanwe