Hello

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
I have never been on a forum before, mother is on EOL because of AD in a nursing home which she was moved to on discharge from hospital . the memory clinic told us at the end of Feb that she had moderate to severe AD and to keep getting her out and about. Her initial diagnosis was just four years ago and she had been managing with carers and my sister as the primary care giver, i was doing weekends as i live further away.
so it's all a bit of a shock. She had a UTI and a fall went to hospital and now she is not eating and taking very little fluids and cannot get out of bed. there was no injury from the fall. I feel so ashamed and guilty for not acting quicker and sorting more care out or moving in with her. now we are just watching her fade away, she has no idea where she is or who i am but I am spending every day with her and hoping it will be peaceful for her. All I can do is comfort her offer her sips of liquid and tiny teaspoons of food when she says she is hungry, One teaspoon and she is full.
It has been three weeks since she ate anything really I have no idea how long this can go on for.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Always someone here to hold out a virtual hand for you to hold, hello and welcome.
Others will follow. K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Jane3.

I’m so sorry to read about your mum. Such a difficult time for you. Thinking of you and wishing you strength and your mother peace.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Welcome to the forum @Jane3
I am sorry to read about your mum. Please don’t feel guilty or embarrassed, everything you describe is due to the dementia. Wishing to strength for the days ahead. Please also remember to look after yourself.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Expect the unexpected, meantime come in, sit down and pull up a chair as the song lyric go.
K

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
i am not sure what to expect
@Jane3 if you are not sure about what to expect because your mum is EOL, I would suggest that you have a chat to your mum’s GP or the nurse in charge in the care home. In the meantime keep posting here if you want advice or just to chat.

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
mum is now getting very restless , does any one know if this will subside?
I talk to her and calm her down answering her conversations which don't make sense but she goes on for hours. She is on a very low dose pain patch and I asked for her paracetamol to be reinstated, but it is on a request basis and she cannot request it. I asked for it last night and the night before and it seemed to help her calm down.

Jane3

Aug 29, 2023
mum is still existing on sips of fluid , it is more than heartbreaking seeing her just fade away. I dont know if she can make any sense of anything what can I do ?
I play music hold her hand talk to her but it is getting increasingly difficult to be there with her every day.
any advice

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cytouae