Hello

Warby76

Jan 16, 2024
Hello, just joined as I am done of 4 sons and daughters with a 93 year old mother who is slowly getting worse with dementia. Particularly struggling with trying to help her as she will not accept any help. She has always had to fend for herself and does not want her children caring for her.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome @Warby76 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia here and members really do want to help.
I am sorry to read about your Mother and her worsening dementia. It's a cruel disease for sure, and for you all as the immediate family, it is so tough. I do feel for you.
Often, people with dementia deny there is anything wrong with them so why should they need help....so accepting help when offered can be very difficult. I'm sure she would rather you four are able to do a bit of helping and supporting, rather than other carers/strangers coming in. But it is certainly a difficult one to get around.
On a practical note, while your Mother still has capacity, and it sounds like she does, do start organising Lasting Power of Attorney for both the health and welfare one and the finance one. This will make things easier for you a bit further down the track. This link may help: