Hello

Kazoo

Dec 16, 2023
Hello, I’m Kate.
My mum very recently went into a care home, having been sectioned in the summer. My dad has Parkinson’s himself, and could no longer cope with caring for her. Mum now won’t have anything to do with my dad, my sister or me. She often doesn’t seem to recognise us, but then she will make bitter remarks about how we have had her ‘locked away’ , or have done nothing to get her out and back home. She has ignored her developing dementia for several years, despite us begging her to go to the GP, and even making appointments for her, which she refused to go to. She has no awareness of her condition now and thinks we just don’t want her any more, which of course couldn’t be further from the truth. We are heartbroken and full of guilt. I wonder all the time if we’ve done the right thing, but she refused to allow any kind of care for herself or for my dad, in the house. We felt we were left with no choice. My dad was rushed into hospital in the summer, and it was then that the medics noticed mum’s condition and asked for our permission to section her. I am full of guilt for saying yes, but she is a very strong personality, and wouldn’t even let me or my sister support them at home. She has thrown me out of the house twice, for trying to help.
I guess I’m just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar, where the person with dementia rejects all family. She keeps demanding a divorce from my dad. Perhaps I need a little reassurance that we’ve done the right thing. I don’t see how else we could have coped.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Kazoo

Im sure you have done the right thing.
Many many people with dementia have no awareness of their own condition (a symptom of dementia called anosognosia) and will refuse all help, because, in their own mind they have not changed at all and therefore do not need help.

My mum was like that and blamed me for things that went wrong, she accused me of stealing from her, shouting at her and hitting her and often wouldnt let me into her home at all. She absolutely refused anything that might have enabled her to say in her own home, so eventually there was no choice and she had to move into a care home.

It sounds like you had no choice either, but your mum has no understanding of the reality of her situation and is blaming you. Dont listen - it is not your fault.

I dont know how long ago your mum moved into her care home, but it usually takes them a couple of months to settle. Once my mum had settled she thrived and I became her daughter again. Your mum may well do the same. In the meantime, it might be best if you didnt visit for a week or two to let her begin to settle and to break this delusion, although you can phone up to check on how she is doing.
xx

Kazoo

Dec 16, 2023
Hello @Kazoo

Im sure you have done the right thing.
Many many people with dementia have no awareness of their own condition (a symptom of dementia called anosognosia) and will refuse all help, because, in their own mind they have not changed at all and therefore do not need help.

My mum was like that and blamed me for things that went wrong, she accused me of stealing from her, shouting at her and hitting her and often wouldnt let me into her home at all. She absolutely refused anything that might have enabled her to say in her own home, so eventually there was no choice and she had to move into a care home.

It sounds like you had no choice either, but your mum has no understanding of the reality of her situation and is blaming you. Dont listen - it is not your fault.

I dont know how long ago your mum moved into her care home, but it usually takes them a couple of months to settle. Once my mum had settled she thrived and I became her daughter again. Your mum may well do the same. In the meantime, it might be best if you didnt visit for a week or two to let her begin to settle and to break this delusion, although you can phone up to check on how she is doing.
xx
Thank you, Canary. I think I might try phoning. She might remember my voice more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdickson3012