Hello

Ab2000

Oct 25, 2023
Hi, I’ve been reading through some threads for a while.. Going back and forth about my mum.
I was hoping it wasn’t going to get worse but it has. I don’t know what to do anymore.. The gp can’t help as we are waiting for an appointment at the memory clinic and they said there is a big back log. My mum has had quite a-lot of water infections and I thought it was just that. The hospital sent her home once and said infections markers are raised but it’s normal for her age.. Things got worse and we went back to the gp who said she had an infection. It’s just been a lot of back and forth.
She had a Ct scan as the memory clinic wouldn’t see her without one. It was so hard getting her there. She had one done and it’s showing cognitive memory impairment.
So although that isn’t great I was hoping it would just be that as it doesn’t always mean dementia but my mum has been having hallucinations. Ringing me asking where her daughter was but I was talking to her on the phone? Saying she’s been out with friends. She has friends but she doesn’t like going out so I calmly try to explain she only goes out with family members as she doesn’t like leaving her dogs.
She looks after herself, cooks and cleans! When this happens though it’s like a switch.. she has lost her keys about 3 times but that’s it.
She keeps telling me she’s going outside when she thinks she’s lost one of the grandkids and I’m so scared. We have family but it just seems like me and another family member are on our own as other members of the family live away. I have children and I’m trying to not let it show that I’m scared and worried. Trying to get my mum to doctors appointments and sorting out non urgent appointments. I feel so I’ll and I don’t know how il cope if they tell me my mum has dementia. It’s been a fear of mine for a long time before any of this. I’ve seen what it can do and it’s heartbreaking. I don’t know where to start with any of it or what to do. She’s her normal self most of the time, repeats herself a little but it’s the hallucinations.
I keep telling myself it probably is dementia to prepare myself but then I think maybe it’s just another infection. All her blood tests have come back fine so we have all been happy about that but this is hanging over our heads and the worse bit is mum keeps saying it’s not right is it :( I have so much patience with her and try so hard to say the right thing as it must be so horrible. She says when she realises she feels sick. I feel like it’s one big nightmare and I’m ready to wake up now. I feel so alone and I can’t cope with it all. I feel guilty because it isn’t about me but I’m struggling.

My mum doesn’t want to know the diagnosis if it’s bad she said. Is that possible? I don’t want to cause my mum any stress or upset. I don’t know what to expect..

Sorry for it being so long.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Ab2000 Welcome.

These early days of trying to get a diagnosis are so worrying and frightening, I doubt many people who have not experienced it can ever understand what a bad time family members have.

Have you been in contact with social services adult care?

It may be worthwhile.

I don't think they will make a formal diagnosis but you can ask them in advance to be careful what they say to your mother. You can tell them of your concerns and ask for an assessment.

The key words to use with social services is a vulnerable adult, living alone and at risk.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @Ab2000

I agree with the advice that @Grannie G has given. All of us here understand that dementia (if that’s what your mum has) affects the carers just as much as the sufferer so don’t feel guilty about making this about you too - it is.

Your mum is lucky to have you.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Hi, I’ve been reading through some threads for a while.. Going back and forth about my mum.
I was hoping it wasn’t going to get worse but it has. I don’t know what to do anymore.. The gp can’t help as we are waiting for an appointment at the memory clinic and they said there is a big back log. My mum has had quite a-lot of water infections and I thought it was just that. The hospital sent her home once and said infections markers are raised but it’s normal for her age.. Things got worse and we went back to the gp who said she had an infection. It’s just been a lot of back and forth.
She had a Ct scan as the memory clinic wouldn’t see her without one. It was so hard getting her there. She had one done and it’s showing cognitive memory impairment.
So although that isn’t great I was hoping it would just be that as it doesn’t always mean dementia but my mum has been having hallucinations. Ringing me asking where her daughter was but I was talking to her on the phone? Saying she’s been out with friends. She has friends but she doesn’t like going out so I calmly try to explain she only goes out with family members as she doesn’t like leaving her dogs.
She looks after herself, cooks and cleans! When this happens though it’s like a switch.. she has lost her keys about 3 times but that’s it.
She keeps telling me she’s going outside when she thinks she’s lost one of the grandkids and I’m so scared. We have family but it just seems like me and another family member are on our own as other members of the family live away. I have children and I’m trying to not let it show that I’m scared and worried. Trying to get my mum to doctors appointments and sorting out non urgent appointments. I feel so I’ll and I don’t know how il cope if they tell me my mum has dementia. It’s been a fear of mine for a long time before any of this. I’ve seen what it can do and it’s heartbreaking. I don’t know where to start with any of it or what to do. She’s her normal self most of the time, repeats herself a little but it’s the hallucinations.
I keep telling myself it probably is dementia to prepare myself but then I think maybe it’s just another infection. All her blood tests have come back fine so we have all been happy about that but this is hanging over our heads and the worse bit is mum keeps saying it’s not right is it :( I have so much patience with her and try so hard to say the right thing as it must be so horrible. She says when she realises she feels sick. I feel like it’s one big nightmare and I’m ready to wake up now. I feel so alone and I can’t cope with it all. I feel guilty because it isn’t about me but I’m struggling.

My mum doesn’t want to know the diagnosis if it’s bad she said. Is that possible? I don’t want to cause my mum any stress or upset. I don’t know what to expect..

Sorry for it being so long.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
aw, don't worry about how long your post is, we all have been there when it started and how scary it all is, Dementia, alzheimer and all its forms. I strongly suspect the urinary tract infections play a lot of havocs in her mental condition. Cognitive impairment is a red flag, but does not necessarily descend into alzheimer, for instance (in my husband's case it did, after 3 years down the line)
first thing first, if she tends to wander off outside her house day or night, maybe time to get a tracker to make sure you know where she is? contact health and care and talk to them about your worries. helpandcare.org.uk?admiral nurse is great one to talk to, experienced in dementia alzheimer , as they really will listen however long you need to talk about it and will give you advice. I believe you must not panic and worry yourself like this, as it really is helpful to talk to the people who know rather than worrying yourself sick trying to guess and deal with it yourself. hopefully what I write here is a good first step for you to take, something more than just worrying yourself ill, and on your own> Good luck and big hugs. you are a good caring daughter.

Ab2000

Oct 25, 2023
Thank you all for replying to me and for the information! I did ring the memory clinic this morning as it has been a while, just to see how long we could be looking at. I didn’t really want too as i hate to bother anyone but a lovely lady gave us a date for next month. I will give the adult social services a ring too.

It’s just so odd to me because my mum will sit and do her crosswords no problem, watch the chase and know a lot of the answers. Recognises her favourite programmes. She doesn’t know what day of the week it is but she she cooks, cleans ect it just seems to be short term memory loss and hallucinations.. we spoke earlier and she asked why this was happening to her and what she could of done so wrong to deserve this and my heart broke and I promised her everything will be ok. I’ve just got off the phone to her because she thought someone was in her house but she just says thingy or that women. When she looked there obviously wasn’t, I’ve told her to go to bed now as she normally does at 22:00. Luckily I don’t live far but it’s so scary isn’t it. I will look into trackers! The good thing is my brother lives with my mum but he does work away.
Thank you for the help and care website.
Sorry it’s taken me ages to reply. I was trying to work out how to reply 😂
I’m sorry to hear it did descend into Alzheimer’s. I hope you are doing ok. Life really can be cruel..
I’m so grateful for your replies and for your help. Also thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot.

Last edited: