Hello.

Clatters

Dec 9, 2017
Hi,
I've just joined the following the diagnosis of my Mum recently.
Strangely (or not?) symptoms seem to be worse since. I'm finding it difficult and confusing, so God knows how Mum must feel and guess stress is a factor here.
I hope to put systems in place to help her stay at home for as long as possible. I was thinking of laminated reminders around the house. Any tips for this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Clatters

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello Clatters,
Sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis, I know what you mean about it being difficult to know how best to help!
Notes around the house helped my dad for a while, we even labelled his cupboards so he could find things.
He's past that stage now and I have to leave things where he can see them as he ignores notes and labels.
If your mum has suddenly got worse it might be worth seeing the GP as something as simple as a water infection, or any infection, can make a PWD (person with dementia) even more confused.

Clatters

Dec 9, 2017
Hello Clatters,
Sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis, I know what you mean about it being difficult to know how best to help!
Notes around the house helped my dad for a while, we even labelled his cupboards so he could find things.
He's past that stage now and I have to leave things where he can see them as he ignores notes and labels.
If your mum has suddenly got worse it might be worth seeing the GP as something as simple as a water infection, or any infection, can make a PWD (person with dementia) even more confused.

Thanks Bunpoots. We have an appointment Monday.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi,
I've just joined the following the diagnosis of my Mum recently.
Strangely (or not?) symptoms seem to be worse since. I'm finding it difficult and confusing, so God knows how Mum must feel and guess stress is a factor here.
I hope to put systems in place to help her stay at home for as long as possible. I was thinking of laminated reminders around the house. Any tips for this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Clatters
Welcome to TP.
The notes around the house are still helping my wife, although she doesn't always see/read them. I also used a permanent marker to number the button sequence on the microwave and washing machine and I know that helps as she struggles to follow a sequence of instructions.
You may find that detailed instructions cannot be digested so keep things as simple as possible and spoon feed your mum with things one step at a time - it takes longer but you are more likely to get there in the end than if you give a detailed list which may confuse so much that even step one isn't taken - if you know what I mean.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Yes note reminders and visual clues definately seem to help some at a certain stage until they go into another phase.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Hello and welcome.

One of MILs first difficulties was with days and dates and times - a large illuminated clock on a screen with the day, date and time helped her out no end. We placed it where she could see it whilst she was on the phone, which made our conversations a bit easier for a while. Something like this
https://www.unforgettable.org/unfor...-day-clock?source_ref=day_clock_buying_guide/,
but we bought a second hand one on line.

Notes are good ("Do not unplug" and bits of tape over the socket switches for the central heating, Sky Box, phone, care line and other essentials etc etc)

Try not to re organise things and change them to make it better for her because it may confuse her more. She may not remember what she had for lunch today, but she'll remember where she's kept her dusters for the last 10 years....

Two great big red arrows that line up on the central Heating thermostat to keep it at a good temperature if Mum starts to fiddle with the controls...

We tethered the TV remote to her armchair as she was constantly losing it.

Thats some tips I can think of so far, but people come up with lots of helpful tips for various situations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T