Hello, new to this forum and grateful for its existence.

emzo

Apr 10, 2024
Does anyone have advice on what to do if your relative with dementia has lost their wallet but you’re 5 hours away and there ja no-one local they can call on?

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
So no carers going into your relative?

Wallet maybe truly lost or stolen or simply mislaid inside the house

Maybe this is the time to get at least a ‘cleaner’ / carer going in to your relative regularly

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @emzo and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. As @SherwoodSue has said that wallet could just be missing (something that regularly happens when people have dementia) or could be lost and in either cast there is not a lot that you can do from five hours away. There are tracking devices but I am not sure that they would work from that distance.
It does sound as if it might be time to have some regular care put in place for your relative if they are starting to misplace things.

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
My advice would be to cancel all cards in the wallet just incase it has been lost outside, and stolen.
My mum did this yesterday, although we live 6 hours drive away, we were visiting, so helped her contact the bank.
Has your relative got any neighbours you can be in contact with, to pop in occasionally and keep you updated?
Or as mentioned, you need someone going in to check on your relative, like a cleaner or carer.

It is much harder living so far away from a family member with dementia.
Luckily my mum has two lovely neighbours who see mum a few times a week, then they will update me, which is reassuring.