Hello, My name is pkendres

pkendres

Mar 22, 2024
My 93 year old mother has dimentia. She recently started thinking that she lives in another town and is constantly calling to ask me (or my sisters) to come and get her. When we don't 'come to get her' she accuses us of putting her in that other town so we don't have to deal with her. Phone calls end with her crying that we don't love her anymore. I am exhausted trying to find the right way to deal with this. Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Hello @pkendres, welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to read about your mother - such a difficult situation for you and your sisters to deal with. Does she live alone? It may be getting to a time when she needs to look at going into a care home - she probably won't want to but it could be she needs to be with other people?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome from me too @pkendres

I agree with 2ndAlto Painful though it may be, if your mother is living alone the time may be right for residential care.

When people are no longer able to occupy themselves, even if housebound, a minute may seem like an hour, which could be why they are constantly trying to make contact.

Good residential care with activities and comings and goings to observe, even if people with dementia are no longer able to participate, can provide the stimulation necessary to reduce isolation, loneliness and confusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer