Hello, my mother is 90 and in the late stages of Alzheimer’s, my sisters have their excuses to rarely or never visit my mother. I gave up my main job

LAWSON2020

May 22, 2024
is it possible to invoice my sisters for missed job opportunities whilst caring full time for my mother on my own.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Doesn’t work like that. You made a choice and so did your sisters.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hellos and welcome to the site from me.
Horrible suggestion I know, but if you said you couldn't cope or needed to be able to work more and suggested a care home, might it focus their mind if they see the cost.
As I say horrible game of patients' poker but thinking their inheritance might go down the drain in care home fees...might work. K

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @LAWSON2020 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry that you find yourself in this position but as others have said you would not be able to charge your sisters for looking after your mother.

It might be that you have to consider full time residential care for your mother to enable you to get back into the workplace. In the meantime it might be useful to contact your local AgeUK discuss any benefits that you might be entitled to.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
In the future, you can sit back knowing that you did everything you could for your Mum; something your sisters will never be able to do. Money can't buy a clean conscious.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I agree with @Kevinl say you can't cope and that you are looking at care homes for your mum then tell them how much it will cost, I did similar with my brother and it got me some help, not particularly from him but he sent his grown up children round on occasions.