Hello, my Dad has mixed dementia

Claire2923

Jan 21, 2024
Hello, my Dad was diagnosed with mixed dementia, vascular dementia and Alzheimer's 2 months ago. He was absolutely fine, still driving, shopping, dealing with finances etc until 16th October when he fell and broke his hip. They thought he had delirium but 5 weeks after his hip replacement he was diagnosed and sectioned. Only in September last year he was the star at my wedding, chatted to everyone and although wobbly on his feet (he is 86) he really enjoyed it. A blessing I guess as it's a lovely memory for my whole family. But such a huge shock for us all. He's now in a dementia care home, but he keeps falling because he's walking so much. He's had 7 falls and only been there not quite 2 weeks. 1 resulting in a hospital visit , 12 hours in A&E, he didn't even have a staff member with him so I went in to sit with him and keep him calm. I'm trying to get 1-1 support for him at the home so that of he gets up they go with him on his wanderings. We're all just devastated really. I found this group because I think we all need some support, myself, my sister and our Mum are doing everything together and supporting each other. It's all so crushing. Sorry to be rather negative for a first post, I'm still trying to understand and accept what's happened/ is happening.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sometimes it's impossible to to know what to say, other than a big thank you, others here may be able to help more.
K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Claire2923.

I’m so sorry to read about your dad. Please don’t apologise - you’re not sounding negative - you’re telling it as it is.

I’m glad you’ve found the forum. You’ll get so much understanding and support here.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@Claire2923 , I am sorry to read about the decline in your Dad’s condition. Sometimes there is a huge change in a short time. I hope that the home can meet his needs. The wandering sounds like sundowning.

I think that your family sound mutually supportive which is so good. Cherish those memories of your wedding.

Take care of each other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skybirdsing