Hello, my dad has dementia diagnosed 4 years ago

Sally74

Oct 10, 2023
Can anyone recommend a tracker they have used - Dad likes to go out for a walk daily but we’d like the added peace of mind that we can locate him as the dementia progresses

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Sally74 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. It is good to hear that your Dad is still independent enough to go out for walks. I can see that this is worrying for you and likely to become more so. I can't comment on trackers but feel sure that some of our members will have ideas about this. Further along it might be worth considering whether he could have a companion when he goes out.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi, does your dad use a mobile phone? We put Life360 on my dads phone and it really gives me peace of mind. I have tried the Apple Tag and couldn't get it to work!

good luck!
x

Sally74

Oct 10, 2023
Hi, does your dad use a mobile phone? We put Life360 on my dads phone and it really gives me peace of mind. I have tried the Apple Tag and couldn't get it to work!

good luck!
x
Unfortunately not, was hoping for a watch or a key fob. My parents have an old Nokia for “emergencies” which they never take out!

Sally74

Oct 10, 2023
Hi @Sally74 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. It is good to hear that your Dad is still independent enough to go out for walks. I can see that this is worrying for you and likely to become more so. I can't comment on trackers but feel sure that some of our members will have ideas about this. Further along it might be worth considering whether he could have a companion when he goes out.
At the moment he is okay trying to future proof at but and get him used to taking key fob/watch with him on his walks (he doesn’t use a mobile) my sister and I both work full time and my mum cares for my 99 year old nan so company on the walks isn’t something we’re available for. He follows same route but I know there may be problems ahead

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I meant possibly a volunteer or paid-for befriender or companion. Someone not in the family but who he might meet 'by chance' one day and suggest doing it again. Just a thought.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Unfortunately not, was hoping for a watch or a key fob. My parents have an old Nokia for “emergencies” which they never take out!
I wonder if you could get him some sort of smart watch that pairs with one of your phones? I don't really know enough about smart watches, but there must be something out there.

x

Sally74

Oct 10, 2023
I meant possibly a volunteer or paid-for befriender or companion. Someone not in the family but who he might meet 'by chance' one day and suggest doing it again. Just a thought.
He wouldn’t like this- as far as he is concerned there’s nothing wrong with him, he knows he has the diagnosis and he knows he forgets things and we got him to surrender his drivers licence a couple of years ago- but he doesn’t want or feel he needs help- I have found a couple of products I’m researching- I know he’ll wear a watch if we say it’s for our piece of mind

tansywoo

Nov 21, 2022
My Mum started to wander and would walk for miles. We used a Yepzon tracker. We found it to be very good and could pinpoint where Mum was very easily. I don't think it cost too much to use and the app is very good. My Dad used to sign up for 6 months at a time. Mum used to wear it around her neck on a lanyard. Put it straight on her in the morning when she got dressed and away she went. Worth a try