Hello I'm. New to here.

EUS89

Jan 10, 2024
Hi. I live in Uk and MIL lives in Spain (26 years). Father died in July 2023. She's was cared in her home now gone into care home. She is a self funder. The bills are eye watering.3, 100 a month. What financial help is there in Spain? She has a flat. She has a UK pension but only a half pension. What will Spanish social services do financially for her, I presume this is all means tested, and at the moment she can pay for her care, but for how long I don't know. The stress is too much!!! We visit her every 10 - 12 weeks, she's in bed alot and doesn't talk very much. Spoon fed and doubly incontinent. Sorry for long post but had to let it all out.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @EUS89

I am sorry I am unable to help you but we do have quite a few distance carers and I hope someone will come along with more experience.

All I can suggest is you contact the Spanish Embassy

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Hello @EUS89, welcome to the forum.

What a worry for you - I've no idea about the Spanish Care situation or funding so can't help with that - @granny G's suggestion about the Spanish Embassy is a good idea. Do you (or your husband) have POA for her? As she is now in care maybe she will have to sell her flat to pay for her care? I really have no idea and it is hard for you to plan anything for her future if you don't know her financial situation.

EUS89

Jan 10, 2024
Hello @EUS89, welcome to the forum.

What a worry for you - I've no idea about the Spanish Care situation or funding so can't help with that - @granny G's suggestion about the Spanish Embassy is a good idea. Do you (or your husband) have POA for her? As she is now in care maybe she will have to sell her flat to pay for her care? I really have no idea and it is hard for you to plan anything for her future if you don't know her financial situation.
Yes we have POA.