Hello, I'm new here

TCherry

Jan 29, 2011
Wales
Hello. I've just joined today and am in tears reading all of your messages, not only for the sad nature of many of the posts, but also for the care and support this group is giving to others. I am proud to be here among you.

I am 41 years old. I cared for my father -- the loveliest, gentlest person I'd ever known -- who had early-onset when I was 23, along with my brother who was 26. We cared for him for six years full-time until we simply couldn't care for him ourselves any more. He was so strong and healthy that his mood swings and frustrations meant he could be dangerous. When he began his 72-hour pacing, we knew he had to be looked after around the clock.

Fortunately, he loved the care facility and it was the best choice for all of our lives. However, that didn't remove the guilt of 'not doing enough'. Sometimes, the judgement and lack of understanding from friends, family and strangers really hurt.

He passed away in 2004.

I am here because for a long time, I've been feeling that I want to help other people. I may just lurk for a while, so if you don't see me posting often, it's because I'm taking it all in. But I am here, and I hope that at some point I can join the rest of you and possibly help someone.

Best wishes,
Cherry

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Hi Cherry.

A very warm welcome to TP.

That was a very moving account of your caring for your Dad. It must have been very hard for you, at a relatively young age.

Be proud of everything you did for your Dad.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Cherry

Welcome to TP.
what a shame you weren`t here when your father was ill. It might have helped you so much.
You had a very long journey as a carer which must have been painful. I do hope you and your brother are now able to reclaim some of your lives.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Cherry and welcome to TP. You were so young to care for your father, such a shame you didn't find us earlier as Grannie G says. I am sure you will be able to offer support and insight to many on here.

Necion

Sep 26, 2010
Aberdeenshire,Scotland
Hi Cherry, Welcome to TP from me too.
You have my deepest admiration for you and your brother having cared for your dad as you did, and that you now want to help others.
Have you thought about becoming involved in research? I don't mean testing or anything like that, but there are studies out there where carers past and present can have valuable information which can be used. AS would have details, I'm sure.

Love, Necion. x

MissisT

Dec 1, 2010
Essex
Hallo Cherry, very happy you've joined us. I'm sure you will be able to help me and others at some point - your experience is priceless.

Teresa x

ceetee

Nov 18, 2010
Bedfordshire
Hello Cherry,

Welcome to TP. What a moving story! I am sure you have a lot of knowledge that many here can benefit from. Hope to hear from you!

Best wishes, Ceetee. x.

TCherry

Jan 29, 2011
Wales
Hello, everyone. Thank you so much for the warm and lovely welcome. You've brought me to tears again!

Yes, it would have been so helpful to have found you way back then. I think everyone here knows how lonely the disease is for all involved. Even friends and family don't understand unless they're directly involved, try as they may. So, many cheers and thanks to AS for providing us with this forum.

Thanks again for the welcome, and I will be checking in again trying to help.

Love to all.

Cherry

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Welcome from me too. Your dad sounded a lovely man, and he has a lovely daughter, what you and your brother did was amazing. Sure you will have lots of knowledge to share with us all. looking forward to seeing you around TP. Pam

dizzydeb

Jan 31, 2011
Cheshire
Hi

Hi Cherry, First of all, So sorry for your loss. I'm sure many of us will thank you and value your feedback.

2ndly Welcome, I'm a Newby too, like you am very touched and proud to be a part of this loving community of carers, supporters and of course the suffers of this life robbing disease.

Bless You

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allyjhilier