Hello. I'm new here & looking for advice on getting deputyship for my father

sskas4

Apr 23, 2024
Hi
My father is now in a residential care home due to quick onset dementia. He lived alone and ended up in hospital with delirium. He was then moved to an assessment unit and they diagnosed unspecified dementia.
He was moved to residential care which is fully funded. However, he rented his property and received benefits which someone needs to take care of as well as his bank account to cancel direct debits etc.
I'm his next of kin/nearest relative and I'm trying to get deputyship as he had no LPA in place. I can't seem to get anyone (medical professional etc) to sign the paperwork to say he's not mentally competent. The hospital said it was the social worker, the social worker said it has to be the GP and the GP say it should be the care home.
Can anyone help please? I feel like this is never going to happen. There is no dispute between the family about me doing it but it all needs to be official

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
I wish I could offer you some advice, but I ran into the same problem with my Granny. Her GP refused to carry out the assessment, just telling us that the surgery was “too busy for private work” and that was the end of it. I went round in circles to solicitors, private GPs and Social Services for weeks, but everyone I asked pointed me back to Granny’s GP.

sskas4

Apr 23, 2024
I wish I could offer you some advice, but I ran into the same problem with my Granny. Her GP refused to carry out the assessment, just telling us that the surgery was “too busy for private work” and that was the end of it. I went round in circles to solicitors, private GPs and Social Services for weeks, but everyone I asked pointed me back to Granny’s GP.
Did you eventually manage to get this sorts with your Granny's GP?

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Sadly not. It was a dead end and there was no way round it for the CoP application.

Our main concern was that Granny’s care home fees increased, but she’d lost capacity and couldn’t increase the standing order which paid it. We agreed with the care home company that they would allow the arrears to build, and put them in touch with Granny’s solicitors. They put a note on Granny’s file that the care home were owed money from her estate when she passed on.

So we had to wait until Granny died in order to resolve the situation. Thankfully Granny was oblivious throughout,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicky67!