Hello. I'm beginning The Journey

AmaJ

Mar 22, 2024
Hello. I'm beginning The Journey. I say beginning because it is only now that my Dad's and sister's conditions have begun to hit home and deeply affect me. I live over 800 miles away from them, so though I had a cognitive awareness of the Alz. and Parkinson's with dementia and was sorrowful that they were dealing with it, it didn't become "real" to me until February 10th. My Dad went outside and fell on the back deck on his way back in. Mom was napping so she didn't know. My sister and husband were running errands. Dad laid there for nearly an hour. This one fall has sent out family on a path no one imagined- nor even took thought it could be possible. I am struggling greatly due to Dad having to be placed in a home. We sisters never thought our parents would part this way!!!! It hss been traumatic for EVERYONE. Mom is 90 years old, Dad a year younger. My sis can't lift Dad, neither can her husband due to back surgery, so the home was the only option. Dad didn't break anything in the fall, but isn't independently mobile now. This means they are apart after 73 years of marriage. They cry often. It is too hard. I wasn't prepared for this. Might sound silly, but I was prepared for one of them, then the other to pass, but not to be separated while living. I am grieving daily and it is hard to keep going. I am an artist with a business and struggling to create. I can't talk to my Dad often now. I used to text Mom and ask if it was a "good" day to call. He doesn't have a phone in his room, I have to jump through hoops trying to connect with Mom (who rarely can hear her phone) or sis to set up a call. I am thankful that he still has "good days"!! But I wish to be with him, to hug him, look into his blue eyes and tell him that even when he forgets, I will always remember the man that he is; the one deep inside.
Then there's my older sister- 8 years my senior- diagnosed 3 years ago with Parkinson's. It progressed rapidly. She is a shell. We can't talk with her, can't call her - she can't function that way. This reality has not hit me emotionally yet. I fear it will like a brick wall. This Alz. /dementia journey is _________- I can't find words.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @AmaJ.

I’m so sorry to read about your situation. It truly is heartbreaking.

I hope you find the help you will receive on this forum to be a support for you. There’s always someone here to listen.

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
@AmaJ, so sorry to read this. It feels worse when it seems everything is all at once. Perhaps your dad will improve and be able to come back home? I hope things resolve soon. Take care.

AmaJ

Mar 22, 2024
@AmaJ, so sorry to read this. It feels worse when it seems everything is all at once. Perhaps your dad will improve and be able to come back home? I hope things resolve soon. Take care.
Thank you @Enozo309 . Through reports from sister there via text, phone and videos, I have seen a progression. He has a permanent catheter now :( But he got out of bed and using the walker went to his bathroom. I believe he can strengthen IF he eats. But he hasn't been eating even one full meal a day. His muscles need the nourishment. His nurses ( one who is male and FANTASTIC!) said he has reached his potential. But I don't believe in measuring a person by another's ability. I am praying. But I also need to find a way to keep moving with my own life. One hurdle is that I promised Dad he would never be in a home. I am far away, and know that sister did the only thing possible unless he strengthens physically. But I wonder if he is miserable when he is alone, without visitors or conversation? I don't know. I wish I was allowed to call and speak to that one nurse. But sis has P.O.A. so they probably won't allow that. I am asking. He would be able to tell me exactly what is happening when family isn't around, and maybe he isn't suffering as much as I imagine? So hard. I must find a way to not internalize all this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @AmaJ

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Unfortunately, fall can really shake people with dementia up, especially if they are elderly and it sounds to me as though he is now in the later stages of his dementia when mobility declines and appetite wanes.

Im afraid that a promise to someone with dementia that they will never go into a care home is a promise that can seldom be kept. Eventually, someone with dementia will need someone with them, looking out for them and attending to their needs literally every minute of every day 24/7. Usually this means a care home where there is a whole team of people, working, in shifts, around the clock.

The general perception of a care home is that it is failure of the family to care for them and they are dumped and abandoned, but it is not true. Making sure that someones needs are being properly met is not failure and it means that the relatives can visit as their relative rather than as a frazzled carer.

My mum had to move to a care home and she was actually much happier there. At home she was overwhelmed and frightened by trying to "fit in" with an ordinary house. Eventually she was found on the floor (we dont know how long she had been there) having had a TIA and ended up in hospital. From there she moved into her care home. In the care home she was taking her meds regularly, found the simple routine and no expectations so much easier and always having someone around, night and day, to reassure her or just chat to, reduced her anxiety . She made friends, joined in activities and was content. I have good memories of the times I visited her there.

I hope your dad is the same
xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well just hello and welcome, you can end up on this site for years, tell me about it, where does the time go.
K

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hello and sorry to hear about your family situation; it’s hard enough being in the doorstep but to be so far away must exacerbate the feelings you have.

I’m confused why you think you cannot connect with your dad in the home. Just because your sister has POA doesn’t exclude you from having a relationship with your mum or dad.

You need to speak with the care home manager and ask to arrange a video call/ telephone call with your dad. Try and fit with them so it doesn’t clash with a busy time. Your dad may not know who you are as sometimes it needs a flicker of memory to fit a face to name, but hopefully this will become a regular connection that enables you to be involved. Care comes in many guises, regular contact is so important for the person with dementia and their family.

Stay strong and know your dad is cared for, it is not a failure he’s in a care home. Does your mum visit or is she unable? If she does that would be a good opportunity for you to call and see them both.

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
Thank you @Enozo309 . Through reports from sister there via text, phone and videos, I have seen a progression. He has a permanent catheter now :( But he got out of bed and using the walker went to his bathroom. I believe he can strengthen IF he eats. But he hasn't been eating even one full meal a day. His muscles need the nourishment. His nurses ( one who is male and FANTASTIC!) said he has reached his potential. But I don't believe in measuring a person by another's ability. I am praying. But I also need to find a way to keep moving with my own life. One hurdle is that I promised Dad he would never be in a home. I am far away, and know that sister did the only thing possible unless he strengthens physically. But I wonder if he is miserable when he is alone, without visitors or conversation? I don't know. I wish I was allowed to call and speak to that one nurse. But sis has P.O.A. so they probably won't allow that. I am asking. He would be able to tell me exactly what is happening when family isn't around, and maybe he isn't suffering as much as I imagine? So hard. I must find a way to not internalize all this.
I've been where you are now; tormenting myself for not being able to do enough and it's a self-destructive process so try not to be too hard on yourself. You're unable to be there but you would be if you could. Just try to support your sister as best you can and communicate with one another as often as you can. Try to find some time to be good to yourself too. It's too easy to get lost in the affray and it isn't good for you. It's easy to become overwhelmed by this so take care of yourself.

Mar 22, 2024
Hello. I'm beginning The Journey. I say beginning because it is only now that my Dad's and sister's conditions have begun to hit home and deeply affect me. I live over 800 miles away from them, so though I had a cognitive awareness of the Alz. and Parkinson's with dementia and was sorrowful that they were dealing with it, it didn't become "real" to me until February 10th. My Dad went outside and fell on the back deck on his way back in. Mom was napping so she didn't know. My sister and husband were running errands. Dad laid there for nearly an hour. This one fall has sent out family on a path no one imagined- nor even took thought it could be possible. I am struggling greatly due to Dad having to be placed in a home. We sisters never thought our parents would part this way!!!! It hss been traumatic for EVERYONE. Mom is 90 years old, Dad a year younger. My sis can't lift Dad, neither can her husband due to back surgery, so the home was the only option. Dad didn't break anything in the fall, but isn't independently mobile now. This means they are apart after 73 years of marriage. They cry often. It is too hard. I wasn't prepared for this. Might sound silly, but I was prepared for one of them, then the other to pass, but not to be separated while living. I am grieving daily and it is hard to keep going. I am an artist with a business and struggling to create. I can't talk to my Dad often now. I used to text Mom and ask if it was a "good" day to call. He doesn't have a phone in his room, I have to jump through hoops trying to connect with Mom (who rarely can hear her phone) or sis to set up a call. I am thankful that he still has "good days"!! But I wish to be with him, to hug him, look into his blue eyes and tell him that even when he forgets, I will always remember the man that he is; the one deep inside.
Then there's my older sister- 8 years my senior- diagnosed 3 years ago with Parkinson's. It progressed rapidly. She is a shell. We can't talk with her, can't call her - she can't function that way. This reality has not hit me emotionally yet. I fear it will like a brick wall. This Alz. /dementia journey is _________- I can't find words.
Hello..I was where you were but it was my mom. I wanted to ask if you have considered what I did. I moved my mom in with me, and used the money that we would have used on a care home to hire two professional caregivers to job-share the 24/7 care of my mom. I am an only child and could not bear the thought of my mom being in a care home.

AmaJ

Mar 22, 2024
Hello..I was where you were but it was my mom. I wanted to ask if you have considered what I did. I moved my mom in with me, and used the money that we would have used on a care home to hire two professional caregivers to job-share the 24/7 care of my mom. I am an only child and could not bear the thought of my mom being in a care home. Such kind words, thank you. I live too far away to consider this because Mom stopped traveling 3 years ago. She cannot fly, and definitely cannot handle 15 hours of road travel. My younger sister built an "In-law suite" for Mom and Dad several years ago, which has been their home. Right now even in care givers would not be enough for Dad. We don't expect that will change. Glad the "home" is a very very good one, but none of us want him there.
I've been where you are now; tormenting myself for not being able to do enough and it's a self-destructive process so try not to be too hard on yourself. You're unable to be there but you would be if you could. Just try to support your sister as best you can and communicate with one another as often as you can. Try to find some time to be good to yourself too. It's too easy to get lost in the affray and it isn't good for you. It's easy to become overwhelmed by this so take care of yourself.
Thanks. My younger sister is the one there. She has done a good job trying to give us information. A very good effort! But that doesn't help when one wonders how Dad is feeling- is he feeling abandoned? Forgotten? - when he is alone and visitors ( Mom and Sister) have left? I don't know. Probably shouldn't consume time on that- I'm praying for God's help to know the truth and be free from that burden. :) I have decided to apply for an exhibition at our local guild's Gallery. The theme of it will be the Alzheimer's Journey. Not sure I will title it that, but at least now I can put these feelings in a place that is productive instead of running all through my mind, heart, and ramping up cortisol levels! Of course it will be about my Dad , and my sister with Parkinson's But it will be for all of you here too- because we all walk this path with our loved one(s). Thankful for that!
Hello and sorry to hear about your family situation; it’s hard enough being in the doorstep but to be so far away must exacerbate the feelings you have.
Thank you. Yes, it does. My other sister lives far away too- she and I talked and it helped to speak to one who truly understands. Sometimes living in such a huge country (USA) isn't so great, lol!
I’m confused why you think you cannot connect with your dad in the home. Just because your sister has POA doesn’t exclude you from having a relationship with your mum or dad.
You need to speak with the care home manager and ask to arrange a video call/ telephone call with your dad.
My husband called the home and DID get permission to talk with Dad's nurse!! I am so much more at peace now that I know the Home will allow this. XXX (nurse) is amazing, 20+years of experience in Memory Care, and kind. I know he will have some reliable ( not just opinions) information for me. I will be calling him next week as he doesn't work on weekends most of the time.
Stay strong and know your dad is cared for, it is not a failure he’s in a care home. Does your mum visit or is she unable?

She does- 3 times a week. She was going every day for the first weeks but she doesn't have the energy to keep that up My sister drops her off and stays a bit when picking her up. If she does that would be a good opportunity for you to call and see them both. We are trying to do that- it is very complicated. Sis has been the caregiver for them both the past 10 years, so as hard as it may be so say this, it is a relief to her in some ways. She rarely answers my text messages. I don't know why but I can't put more burden on her- she is struggling with health since long-term covid and lost many pounds. The journey isn't easy for anyone- ever, I am learning. But I did have a great convo with Dad over the phone this week. So glad. I am trying to focus on the good things that ARE, and not the rest, even though they exist.

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
So glad you have had a chance to tak to your dad. It has lifted your spirits. My experience of my dad's care home is that thet've always been very helpful and accommodating when we've needed support; your dad's sounds like it is doing what it can to help. Good luck going forward x

AmaJ

Mar 22, 2024
So glad you have had a chance to tak to your dad. It has lifted your spirits. My experience of my dad's care home is that thet've always been very helpful and accommodating when we've needed support; your dad's sounds like it is doing what it can to help. Good luck going forward x
Yes, it is. Not where any of us want him to be, but thankful it is a quality care place where dignity is protected. Thank you.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Thanks. My younger sister is the one there. She has done a good job trying to give us information. A very good effort! But that doesn't help when one wonders how Dad is feeling- is he feeling abandoned? Forgotten? - when he is alone and visitors ( Mom and Sister) have left? I don't know. Probably shouldn't consume time on that- I'm praying for God's help to know the truth and be free from that burden. :) I have decided to apply for an exhibition at our local guild's Gallery. The theme of it will be the Alzheimer's Journey. Not sure I will title it that, but at least now I can put these feelings in a place that is productive instead of running all through my mind, heart, and ramping up cortisol levels! Of course it will be about my Dad , and my sister with Parkinson's But it will be for all of you here too- because we all walk this path with our loved one(s). Thankful for that!
Well that sounds more positive. Hope the contact improves over time and you are reassured he’s getting the care he needs.

AmaJ

Mar 22, 2024
Well, it took a few days to get myself ready for the conversation with my Dad's nurse. I've been bombarded with emotionally charged reports from Mom & Sis, and really needed to hear what is happening ALL the time, not just when they visit Dad. I am GLAD that I did! The apprehension I felt was (thankfully) unfounded. The concerns that Dad may be staying awake due to deep sadness/grief/feelings of abandonment were assuaged. He said "Every day is a new day with ( my Dad)", meaning he doesn't remember who came/didn't come or what happened the day before. In a very mind-bending way, that is a relief. He also said Dad is "high -functioning". That's good to know. So basically, the visits that Dad says he wants to much are the very thing that disrupt his well being. The irony. I know ADP's need routine. And he said Dad does well with his daily routine. But when Mom or sis comes, it reminds him of what is missing and sets him off. How heartbreaking, but I cannot help, change, or control that. I am choosing each day to love him, talk to him when I can, send him a CD of his favorite hymns, and a player to play them. I also made a small photo album of my family- his grands and great grands. The rest I have to leave at God's feet.
Since talking to the nurse, I no longer have the anguish of self imagined despair in my Dad. I am thankful that every day is a new day- just like "His mercies are new every morning" Lamentations 3:22-23 :)

Enzo309

Mar 22, 2024
AmaJ, that's reassuring news. My dad went through the same thing when he first went into care in 2022. I think guilt made us all visit him far too much and we should have given him more time to settle. We visit now once a week each (me and my sister) and his granddaughters visit him every 2 weeks. He chucks us out after 10 minutes anyway but we know he's safe, content and well looked after.