Hello! I have just joined.

KazAnn

Good afternoon. I have just joined to seek some help and guidance. My 92 year old mum lives alone 72 miles away in a different county. She has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and sadly we are at the stage where it is no longer safe for her to continue to live alone. Adult Social Services have assessed her both healthwise and financially and will consider a move to a care home, but only in her Borough. Both she and I wish for her to move nearer me and her grandchildren as this would enable us to visit and help her and keep memories and relationships alive for her.
I keep hitting brick walls whoever I ask. Anyone else successfully negotiated this? Or got any tips of who to contact please?
Many thanks.

nitram

If she will be self funding you can directly approach homes in the new area, they will need sight of her needs assessment from the current area.

If she will be LA assisted you should approach the new LA

SAP

I moved my mum 300 miles to be near to me . As @nitram mentions, she is self funding so I found a local home and she was accepted there. If you do this,be totally honest about your mum’s needs so the placement is a successful one.
Do you have LPA for her health and well-being?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Hi @KazAnn and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.
As @nitram says if your mum is self-funding, having assets of over £23,000 you could go ahead and organise the move. Social services might want to assure themselves that you are acting in her best interests, but otherwise it is up to you.
Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney? If not try and get that sorted as soon as possible, as you won't be able to sell your mother's house without it, and dealing with banks etc could be tricky. If your mum's dementia is too advanced you might need to go for Deputyship instead.
You might also like to phone the support line to chat various options through.