Hello I care for mum after dads passing

Millsy

Jul 12, 2021
Hi everyone my name is Stephen and after my dad passed away both myself and brother care for our mum who has a catheter and only one arm.

About a month after dad passed mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia (Alzheimers and Vascula). However, we have suspected she had dementia for a good number of years.

I have joined here so I can reach out to those in a similar situation as myself. And hopefully get some much needed guidance/advice.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Stephen @Millsy and welcome to Talking Point.
Yours is, unfortunately, quite a common situation. We are a friendly bunch here, so any queries, do post. Its also a good place to let off steam!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Hi @Millsy welcome to DTP but I'm sorry you have cause to be here.
Dementia is a dreadful disease but everyone here understands the difficulties that have to be faced. There is a lot of experience on here so don't be shy, just ask if you need to.

Aj17

Dec 19, 2021
Hi everyone my name is Stephen and after my dad passed away both myself and brother care for our mum who has a catheter and only one arm.

About a month after dad passed mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia (Alzheimers and Vascula). However, we have suspected she had dementia for a good number of years.

I have joined here so I can reach out to those in a similar situation as myself. And hopefully get some much needed guidance/advice.

Hello stephen
Have recently joined as am looking after my elderly mum who has had a couple of Heath issues since moving in with us ( previously she lived independently for 15 years since we lost dad. ) the deterioration during lockdown was rapid and she has now been diagnosed with mixed dementia also. She has bladder issues and has had a catheter for 5 months. I am struggling to come to terms with the whole situation. I have to remind her constantly every day that she’s has a catheter and I know she can’t help it but it’s so frustrating . Now she’s having disturbed sleep and we are all exhausted. Any tips from anyone would be greatly received . My OH is very supportive but I feel like we have lost not only mum but our own lives ?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum @Millsy and @Aj17. Sorry I have no particular advice for you, but that feeling of losing yourself as well as losing your mum is one I'm familiar with. So, you will find support and help here from people who understand.