Hello, I am new here and looking for help.

tc003

Dec 24, 2023
I am a single child now in my early 50's and my mother is suffering from memory issues and a change in her behaviour. She has been registered with our local Community Mental Health team for 4 years now and we still have not had a confirmed diagnosis of Alzheimers because she does not completely follow the normal pattern. We are waiting for one more brain scan, however her Dr has said he would put money on it that she has Alzheimers and hopefully this final scan will help.
In the meantime though, my Dad is going through hell on a daily bases. Mum has always been a jealous type of person, but she now is jealous of me and my 10 year old daughter as far as my Dad is concerned. My Dad has turned his life around and has had to learn how to cook, wash clothes and look after the house as my mother has no interest in any of that at all. She seems to have lost all concept of time, and can't tell the difference between 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 weeks or even 5 years. So she is no longer safe in the kitchen. She keeps referring to her mother being alive, however she passed away over 25 years ago and she won't accept her home is her home and keeps saying she wants to go home. Along with this she has turned very spiteful and sometimes vile towards my Dad, constantly calling him a lying *******. Tonight my Dad finally broke down to me and my partner and said he just wanted to run away. My Dad is a very proud man so this is very unusual for him. I've tried suggesting help, but Mum won't allow it and takes it out on Dad when I leave. She's refused to have the Community nurse visit because she was a larger coloured lady and Mum made some very nasty comment after she left.
I have seen my Dad deteriate over the past 6 months and I feel I am loosing both of them. Has anyone else been in thus situation and if so what did you do? Please can somebody help me?

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
Hi there. Sorry I can't give any advice in your situation, only that things are not going to get any better for you all. It is going to be a roller coaster from now on. My husband has had dementia for well over 4 years now and it is a living hell, there is no other words to describe it. I have had verbal abuse as well as getting hit etc. I am in tears ever day. My life has been taken away from me due to taking care of him. Some people call their spouse etc my darling, who are they kidding. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is the truth. Good luck.
. 🤐🤐🤐

tc003

Dec 24, 2023
Hi there. Sorry I can't give any advice in your situation, only that things are not going to get any better for you all. It is going to be a roller coaster from now on. My husband has had dementia for well over 4 years now and it is a living hell, there is no other words to describe it. I have had verbal abuse as well as getting hit etc. I am in tears ever day. My life has been taken away from me due to taking care of him. Some people call their spouse etc my darling, who are they kidding. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is the truth. Good luck.
. 🤐🤐🤐
Thank you for your honesty.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
. 🤐🤐🤐
Isn’t it funny how most of what you hear is that it’s an honour to look after someone etc, well I’m sorry but that’s not how I feel. Even the new AS advert seems to be saying we should be honoured to do it if we said our marriage vows.

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
I am a single child now in my early 50's and my mother is suffering from memory issues and a change in her behaviour. She has been registered with our local Community Mental Health team for 4 years now and we still havee not had a confirmed diagnosis of Alzheimers because she does not completely follow the normal pattern. We are waiting for one more brain scan, however her Dr has said he would put money on it that she has Alzheimers and hopefully this final scan will help.
In the meantime though, my Dad is going through hell on a daily bases. Mum has always been a jealous type of person, but she now is jealous of me and my 10 year old daughter as far as my Dad is concerned. My Dad has turned his life around and has had to learn how to cook, wash clothes and look after the house as my mother has no interest in any of that at all. She seems to have lost all concept of time, and can't tell the difference between 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 weeks or even 5 years. So she is no longer safe in the kitchen. She keeps referring to her mother being alive, however she passed away over 25 years ago and she won't accept her home is her home and keeps saying she wants to go home. Along with this she has turned very spiteful and sometimes vile towards my Dad, constantly calling him a lying bas×××d. Tonight my Dad finally broke down to me and my partner and said he just wanted to run away. My Dad is a very proud man so this is very unusual for him. I've tried suggesting help, but Mum won't allow it and takes it out on Dad when I leave. She's refused to have the Community nurse visit because she was a larger coloured lady and Mum made some very nasty comment after she left.
I have seen my Dad deteriate over the past 6 months and I feel I am loosing both of them. Has anyone else been in thus situation and if so what did you do? Please can somebody help me?

I am a single child now in my early 50's and my mother is suffering from memory issues and a change in her behaviour. She has been registered with our local Community Mental Health team for 4 years now and we still have not had a confirmed diagnosis of Alzheimers because she does not completely follow the normal pattern. We are waiting for one more brain scan, however her Dr has said he would put money on it that she has Alzheimers and hopefully this final scan will help.
In the meantime though, my Dad is going through hell on a daily bases. Mum has always been a jealous type of person, but she now is jealous of me and my 10 year old daughter as far as my Dad is concerned. My Dad has turned his life around and has had to learn how to cook, wash clothes and look after the house as my mother has no interest in any of that at all. She seems to have lost all concept of time, and can't tell the difference between 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 weeks or even 5 years. So she is no longer safe in the kitchen. She keeps referring to her mother being alive, however she passed away over 25 years ago and she won't accept her home is her home and keeps saying she wants to go home. Along with this she has turned very spiteful and sometimes vile towards my Dad, constantly calling him a lying *******. Tonight my Dad finally broke down to me and my partner and said he just wanted to run away. My Dad is a very proud man so this is very unusual for him. I've tried suggesting help, but Mum won't allow it and takes it out on Dad when I leave. She's refused to have the Community nurse visit because she was a larger coloured lady and Mum made some very nasty comment after she left.
Hi tc003, have you tried calling the age uk helpline? They have a lot of information and may be able to suggest useful ideas. Dementia and Alzheimers helplines are good too. It sounds to me like your Dad could do with a break and needs professional support. Has he discussed his feelings with his GP? I felt very depressed after my husband was diagnosed. I was referred for therapy and it helped me

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @tc003 Welcome to the forum.

It really does sound as if a diagnosis needs speeding up.

Very often before a diagnosis, people are unbearable to live with. My husband was one of them.

Much of it is down to insecurity and fear and whatever your mother`s personality was before she had problems it will be exaggerated 100 times over.

It doesn`t make it any easier to live with but it does give some possible explanation for such challenging behaviour.

The jealousy towards you and your daughter is probably because your mum is feeling left out. Not because you and your dad are deliberately leaving her out but more because she may have heard you discussing her or she is unable to join any conversation you may be having.

If you contact the Support Line , they might be able to advise about hurrying up a diagnosis

• Monday to Wednesday: 9am – 8pm
  • Thursday and Friday: 9am – 5pm
  • Saturday and Sunday: 10am – 4pm

Christmas and New Year opening hours:​

18 to 21 December: open as usual

22 December: CLOSED

23 December: open as usual

24 December: open as usual

25 December: CLOSED

26 December: CLOSED

27 to 29 December: open as usual

30 December: open as usual