1. Sue2212

Sue2212 New member

Nov 28, 2019
    Hello All,
    My Oh was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s Type Dementia 3 and a half years ago.
    im struggling as there is only me. we have contact with ‘ orders agults Dementia service’ in our area.
    My OH is 59. The local AS is not geared up for people like us - shame as there are more of us than they seem to realise.
    The man I’ve loved and adored for over 30 years has gone. I see his face and then remember the last.
    I really would like to say more about how I think and feel but don’t want to seem cruel.
    Help
    Sue

2. Sue2212

Sue2212 New member

Nov 28, 2019
    Sorry it’s supposed to say Older not orders

3. Sue2212

Sue2212 New member

Nov 28, 2019
    Past not last. so sorry it’s a mixture of tears and predictive.

4. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Sorry you seem so down and fed up with your local support services, Sue. Have you spoken to your local carers support centre to see if they have carers groups and if they know any memory cafes which cater for a wider age group. Http://carers.org will take you there.
    You will certainly find a lot of people on here who are knowledgeable and who will support you. I almost forgot to say welcome to the forums.

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Welcome to the forum @Sue2212.

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. No wonder you feel the way you do. I’m glad you’ve found the forum and I’m sure you will get a lot of support here. Please post whatever you need you feel you need to - nobody here will judge you.

I wondered if it would help you to talk to an Admiral Nurse. You can telephone them but you can also email if you prefer. You can find if you have them in your area by using this link - https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

Keep posting.

6. Sue2212

Sue2212 New member

Nov 28, 2019
    Thank you for your replies.
    We live in a very rural area. 10 miles from the nearest town. ive tried the Admiral Nurses who are in a care home but with no help as myOH is not yet 60.
    live tried and trust me I’ve tried other.Carers Organisations but no one seems to cover our area.
    I’ve read no end of stuff on the internet and spoken to our GPs
    I’m on my own.

7. Lilstar

Lilstar Registered User

Aug 11, 2019
    Hi Sue2212,
    I’m in the same position my oh was diagnosed in August after pushing for further tests he’s 61 but was first tested 4 years ago.My oh is still managing to work , but personality is changing along with memory. It’s so true the younger people are out on there own as there is no support groups where I come from only for older people. I have a great support worker from Alzheimer’s who visits me every month , the support has been great just to get things off your chest , you could try asking for a support worker .

8. Sue2212

Sue2212 New member

Nov 28, 2019
    I’m sorry that everything I say is very negative but I did try getting a family support worker in February from our local AS branch.
    Sadly, I got another small forest worth of info sheets in the post weeks later. on the positive side I’ve been referred to a support worker within our local MH unit that deals with dementia.
    OH is now on three monthly cognitive tests administered by a nurse who is worth her weight in gold.
    It will all sort out in the wash.
    All of my frustration is my fault as I can’t drive as my eyesight has never been good enough.