Hello, have a mom in assisted-living with dementia. New here.

prabbitts

Mar 2, 2024
Hi everyone, my name is Paul. My mom is going to be 84 years old in a couple of weeks and she is in assisted-living. She resides there with my 65 year old brother who actually suffers from schizophrenia. I am their guardian. My brother helps to take care of my mother so that we don’t have to put her in the memory ward and can keep her in assisted-living for a while. My mom seems to be progressing a lot. The other day she tried to eat the sponge on the sink, thinking that it was actually food. She’ll ask me questions about paper towels because she doesn’t remember what they actually are and she thinks the shape of them are odd. She also told me the other day that she has a baby boy in her belly, and that she’s pregnant. She whispered to me “ don’t tell anyone“. I’m not so sad anymore about all this, I try to go with the flow with her. I find that she really loves music and it makes her very relaxed. I also take her to church on Sundays because she seems to be very fulfilled by that . I also always give her a hug when I see her because I know that it feeds her emotionally. I always, always joke around with her because she loves to laugh and that seems to help her a lot too. This just motivates me so much to take care of my own mind, my own brain in my own body as much as possible so I can avoid this often illness as long as possible in my own life as I age. Thanks for listening!

I did read one of the post where somebody referred to this condition as a magical delusion. That really helped me actually. Maybe I can look at it and in a positive light so that I could bring as much joy to her as possible instead of reflecting sadness to her. Forget “maybe “, I can definitely give her that!

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello Paul and welcome, may I ask if you're posting from the USA, no problem with that, my mum (mom) was an American, came here for WW2 and stayed.
Something in the way you phrase things makes me wonder. It doesn't matter caring is universal, specific help depends on location even within the 4 nations of the UK. Either way hello and welcome. K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Paul @prabbitts and welcome to the forum

Im sorry your mum no longer understands what things are, but it sounds like you are managing the situation well. Music used to perk my mum up no end too - it seems to be common with all types of dementia

prabbitts

Mar 2, 2024
Hello Paul and welcome, may I ask if you're posting from the USA, no problem with that, my mum (mom) was an American, came here for WW2 and stayed.
Something in the way you phrase things makes me wonder. It doesn't matter caring is universal, specific help depends on location even within the 4 nations of the UK. Either way hello and welcome. K
Hi K, yes, posting from Savannah, GA. I noticed that the forum was based in the UK, but it just didn’t matter to me. I figured, like you said, it’s universal. I also love my friends across the pond!❤️

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hello Paul and welcome.

You are doing a great job under what must be very trying circumstances at times.

Like you, I found that going with the flow (as much as possible) is definitely the best approach. Your determination to share laughter, music and hugs - as well as helping your mum keep up with the things she finds pleasure in, such as going to church, is also wonderful.

This kind of approach was pretty much my philosophy when I was caring for my husband.

Having said that, there were moments when nothing seemed to help and things became exhausting at times - but I found that this forum was a great place to help me through all the highs and lows. I am sure you will find the same 🙂