Hello from Atlanta, Georgia, USA

EarlyOnset55

Jan 29, 2024
USA
Hello,

I’m in the US. I found this support forum via an internet search. I hope it’s okay I’m not in the UK I’m a 55 year-old father of two who expects to be diagnosed with AD within the next week or two. I’ve completed two of three main steps in the diagnostic process — cognitive tests and MRI — and cerebrospinal fluid test results have started trickling in. My neurologist has been very open with me about everything. He believes AD is the most likely cause of my cognitive impairments (memory, executive function, and processing speed) and said he would give a diagnosis as soon as all cerebrospinal fluid and test results are in. I can see the results as they are posted in an app called MyChart that my healthcare system uses.

I’m now going to look for the appropriate forum to ask my first question (how to tell your children you have AD).

Cheers?
ATL_Dad

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @EarlyOnset55 /. ATL-Dad

There is no problem for you being on a UK based forum apart from the fact we won't be able to recommend any support networks or medical procedures.

To address your worry about telling your children. Are you sure they haven`t noticed any changes in you and suspect the diagnosis already?

If you are sure and have to tell them, I can suggest that you present them with the facts and be honest. This is if they are old enough. Even teenagers will be well able to appreciate open discussion rather than hiding the truth.

I`m deeply sorry you are nearing this diagnosis. I hope this forum will give you the support and information you need.

You are among friends here, all who have suffered the effects of dementia, those with a diagnosis or those who care for them.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellohi