Hello From A New Member/Carer

Thezza

Jan 9, 2024
Hello everyone,
I’m Theresa aged 59, still very much in full time work, and my 84-year old husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia in September. He’s doing very well, and seems unaware of the many changes that I see in him. Finding myself now in the role of a carer, I’m trying to find my way and seeking out various sources of help, advice and support for the road ahead. Thank you for this forum and for all those who provide support and share their experiences, you are a godsend.
Theresa x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Thezza and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your husband. I know how difficult it is to balance work with caring for someone with dementia. My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in 2016 at the age of 75, although her symptoms had been evident for a few years before that. I had already given up work by then (in 2014) because her dependency upon me - and unwarranted suspicion that I was up to no good - had grown to the extent that she would telephone my office multiple times a day. I was lucky to have an occupational pension that I could take early and so retired at age 59.

Mine is just one of many similar experiences that the members of this Forum have been through. I say this not to alarm you but to let you know that you will encounter true understanding, empathy and good suggestions here. All people and circumstance are different and dementia plays out differently as a result. It is good to know that your husband is doing well. This Forum supported me when I most needed help. I hope that we can do the same for you too.

Last edited:

Thezza

Jan 9, 2024
Hi @Thezza and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your husband. I know how difficult it is to balance work with caring for someone with dementia. My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in 2016 at the ago of 75, although her symptoms had been evident for a few years before that. I had already given up work by then (in 2014) because her dependency upon me - and unwarranted suspicion that I was up to no good - had grown to the extent that she would telephone my office multiple times a day. I was lucky to have an occupational pension that I could take early and so retired at age 59.

Mine is just one of many similar experiences that the members of this Forum have been through. I say this not to alarm you but to let you know that you will encounter true understanding, empathy and good suggestions here. All people and circumstance are different and dementia plays out differently as a result. It is good to know that your husband is doing well. This Forum supported me when I most needed help. I hope that we can do the same for you too.
Thank you so much for sharing your story. What you say doesn’t alarm me but is reassuring to know that I am not alone. I haven’t been a member of the forum for very long but you are already being an immense support. Thank you 😊