Hello everyone

vpop

Apr 10, 2024
County durham
Hi all, my Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Although I have set up a carer to visit her in her bungalow 4 times a day, I have had to change my work so I only work 4 days 8-2 ( or 2 days 8-8) this is so I can spend more time with her, I'm her registered carer. We are both ex forces and strong independent ladies....or we were , my mum now just sits on her sofa and is very unsteady on her feet. She will only go out with me but always makes excuses not to go out, I am hoping with improvement in the weather I will be able to encourage her to get out but I think it's because she is embarrassed at how frail she has become.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Viv Bates I hope you will get the support you need from this forum.

I’m waiting for some improvement in the weather too, just like your mum. Bring out in this wind with rain threatening is not much fun.

Your mum has nothing to be embarrassed about. It`s probably a loss of confidence especially if her mobility is compromised.

My mobility has suffered since I had a bad fall last June. I know how I must look when I’m out but I’ll not make myself housebound no matter what.

GlennBurch

Apr 10, 2024
Caring for a relative with Alzheimer's disease can be very difficult, both emotionally and physically. It is important to remember that your mother needs your support and care most of all right now. Try to be patient and understanding, giving her time to adapt to her condition. Try to gradually involve her in various activities and go outside together, starting with short walks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikkinoonoo