Hello Everyone

EightiesBoy

Dec 12, 2023
Hi All - hope everyone is keeping well.

I just wanted to say 'hi' and express how grateful I am to have found all of you on this forum.

My mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia and is currently still living on her own (her preference), with professional carers visiting her 2 x per day on weekdays and with multiple extra visits from myself and my brother (+ partners) as and when we can.

It has been very comforting and re-assuring to read others experiences on here - It's helped me to realise that things that are new to me are very familiar to others. It is so helpful to understand how others cope with looking after a PWD. Hopefully I will be able to offer support and guidance to others as I grow more experienced in dealing with this condition.

I'm off to do yet more research - stay well everyone! X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @EightiesBoy , good to have you on board.

When you are looking around do remember that not everything you read about will happen to you/your mum - so dont scare yourself unnecessarily!
Do feel free to join in conversations, start threads to ask questions, or just have a moan. It all helps

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @EightiesBoy and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read of your Mum's recent diagnosis. I'm sure it will have come as a shock even if you were half expecting it.
One important practical matter you would be wise to sort sooner rather than later is Lasting Power of Attorney. The link below gives more information which may help.
I hope you will find this forum useful for information, and any particular advice if you need it, do just ask, as members here really do want to help.
It's also good for letting off a bit of steam when you need to!

EightiesBoy

Dec 12, 2023
@canary @Gosling

Thank you so much for the warm welcome :). We put LPA in place about 4 years back as a 'just in case' so all good there - It certainly has been a great help! I now fully manage Mum's finances which at least gives her one less thing to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allyjhilier