Hello everyone. I'm finally seeking support.

Sweet16

Mar 25, 2017
Hi TP members

I am finally ready to post having read many threads for a few months at various times. My OH was diagnosed with Young Onset Alzheimer's almost 18 months ago. We are both in our forties with two teenage children. My OH is very aware of what is happening to him and is struggling with depression too, although really most days I think he copes as well as he can. I am struggling to juggle a full time job, being mum and caring and some days feel like I am failing everyone but again that's not always and I hope we are doing okay most of the time. I suppose the thing that we all struggle with is the change in our relationships. My sons are helping me to care for their dad and he needs our help with lots of daily tasks but also at times he resents needing that help, which I know is understandable too.

Anyway there is so much I want to ask and get advice on but maybe that will do for now as I haven't posted before. It would be nice to hear from others in our situation because there are literally no services in our area for people my husband's age and some won't work with him because he is not yet 65.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sweet16

I`m glad you’ve found Talking Point and hope the support and information you find here will help you get through these daunting times.

We all know how difficult it is, even more so when the diagnosis is young onset, the primary carer is in full time employment and young dependent children need to become carers too.

When you are ready, ask away.

It may help you even more now you have introduced yourself to start your own Thread in either sub forum

Younger people with dementia and their carers

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?27-Younger-people-with-dementia-and-their-carers

or

I have a partner with dementia

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?69-I-have-a-partner-with-dementia

Wherever feels best for you.

Sweet16

Mar 25, 2017
Thanks for reaching out

Thank you Grannie G for reaching out and for your advice. I will certainly look at the forum your recommend. It is a relief to know there are others who have shared or are sharing this journey and who can offer advice and support.