Hello, anyone got medication prescribed for moods

Addiscombegirl

My Mum has dementia. Alzheimer's.

She is becoming verbally very aggressive and very depressed. Abuse is at bedtime. It is like a monster takes her over as soon as her show her to the room she is sleeping in, whilst temporarily staying with me.

Had three stays in two months. I can't cope with her. Also, my brother who lives with her but not involved with care has had enough and wants to leave. He avoids talking to her.

She stayed over Christmas but had a chest infection, so extended stay. And building work starts in two days. So, no rest from her. She is staying around my house as she is having building work in hers and gets triggered rowing with people. Work needs doing eg. central heating put in as she is always cold and a bathroom where she can shower via large shower. I have two weeks of hell.

She has carers when at home but we don't have any when she stays with us and I am struggling. I can't leave a room for more than ten minutes. My husband says she is stressing him out as he suffers from anxiety. But he thinks respite isn't a good idea.

I have two questions:-

1) Does respite in a care home work. My husband say no. But I really can't take not having sleep.
2) Has anyone successfully been able to get medication prescribed to help with mood via their GP. Mine has referred me to memory clinic but I have been waiting at month.
3) Can anyone recommend a consultant I can take my Mum to see re. private consultation for my Mum as can't wait any longer. She is so argumentative and depressed.

Background
Mum can't remember more than five minutes ago what she did. She asks the same questions and has been like this for two years. She get argumentative and hard to talk to some time. I seem mostly to be able to chat with her but she seems to like to argue with my husband and siblings. She is ok with carers.

Last few months, Mum OCD she has always had with tidying is worse. She can't stand anything out of order and obsessed with folding things.

Mum is worse at night shouting and ranting for hours about the state of everything. Saying it is filthy, I am disgusting and not showing her respect. It is so loud, I am starting to worry my neighbours will start complaining a week non-stop.

I am having to let her rant, the way you try and sleep train a baby. She doesn't drink but sounds like a drunken person ranting. She gets personal. There is nothing I can do but let her rant. This goes on for hours - up to three hours. I have to hide downstairs and sleep on the sofa and ignore her calling me. I am frightened if she sees me she will start shouting more. Last night she tried to get into my bedroom to inspect it as feels I am giving her a bad room.

She is having my husband and I's room and I am sleeping in the spare room. We have another room but we can't finish the wooden floor as my Mum calls me every five minutes. We were going to put her in here, but we had to take her in last month when the temperatures dropped as she was too cold in her house, so we didn't get to finish the room we were going to put her in.

She went back home but care was messed up, so we had to do the care for her and commute 2 hours each way every day, twice a day. Care issues when she goes home, but I have two weeks of this.

My husband says putting her in care home for respite wouldn't be a good idea. As she will be too confused. He says we should only put here in one when she is staying.

I am sleeping on the sofa as me going into Mum wakes up my husband and I can't cope hearing Mum's ranting.

My place isn't the tidy polished article. I bought the house before Mum's dementia, we are doing the work ourselves and has been a five year project. We often have to stop doing things on our house to sort Mum out re. care cover, things on her house, constant disruptions. So, we are not slobs etc. With Mum and work, doing the house up is hard.

Starrybakes

Hi , I feel for you. I have experienced similar behaviours from my partner and it hurts.
He has medication for moods, this is Olanzapnieonce in th system it can be quite affective. The other medication he has for when he becomes more heightened than usual is Loranzapine.
Not sure if you have spoken with GP but they can refer to The Dementia Intensive Support Team, who can come out and provide advice and support.

Hope this helps, best wishes Ruth x

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Hello @Addiscombegirl and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry that you are going through such a hard time at present.

I will try to answer your three questions in order.
1. Respite would not help your mum but it would certainly give you a rest and enable you to consider what your next steps should be.
2. Medication can help, please get into contact with your mum's GP and explain that you have not heard back from the memory clinic and that you are finding it difficult to deal with your mum's aggression and depression.
3. Regarding a private consultant you would have to check what is available in your own area.

I do however think from what you have described that it might be getting to the time that you should be considering full time care for your mum. You might find it useful to contact your local social services to discuss the options available to you.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Hi @addicombe girl, your mum sounds like mine during Christmas 2108. We were all staying at my brothers and mum spent hours screaming at us one evening as she was convinced we were deliberately freezing her. We'd cranked up the heating and the rest of us had stripped down to our t-shirts, but mum wouldn't be mollified.
It's good you're having work done on her home, but I don't think that sounds like it is going to be enough even with carers coming in, specially if your brother no longer is able to help.
I think the time has come to start considering care homes. Maybe start looking at suitable ones now. By May 2019 we'd moved mum into care. Even when she was back at home she could no longer manage on her own and was starting to be a danger to herself and others.

canary

My husband says she is stressing him out as he suffers from anxiety. But he thinks respite isn't a good idea.

Does respite in a care home work. My husband say no. But I really can't take not having sleep.
.................<snip>.............
My husband says putting her in care home for respite wouldn't be a good idea. As she will be too confused. He says we should only put here in one when she is staying.

My OH has had several periods of respite now as I was basically on my knees. Surprisingly he enjoyed it and is happy to go back, but even if he hadnt I needed it in order to be able to continue.

Your husband says she will be too confused, but TBH, she sounds very confused already to me and I doubt that it will make things worse for her. You may be able to "sell" it to her as a holiday

Ellie2018

there are definitely medications that can help. My husband is nowhere near ready for care but was stopped going to a day centre because of his outbursts but he has been put on mitrazapine and whilst not 100% I would say definitely 80% better and I know there are other medications so might we worth speaking to the gp.

Addiscombegirl

Thanks. I am really struggling to get him on medication.

If I could , I would put in respite for the two weeks her place is being sorted. I am so fed up of it. I called the place I visited last year but they can't help until after the holidays. Oddly, I spoke to her yesterday that I am not coping with her shouting for two hours at bedtime. And last night she was quieter and I got a good nights sleep. I doubt she remembered the conversation.

The only thing I did do is have a lot of music on and she had a lot of one-to-one time with me as my husband was out and I did all my chores in the morning when she was in bed.