Heartbreaking decision

ferniegirl

May 10, 2015
Surrey, UK
Hi there. Haven't been on for a while but things with my parents have got to a heartbreaking point and I need some support! My mum is 91 and my dad is 100 in two days. 18 months ago they had to go into a care home together as my mum had shingles and my dad couldn't look after her. She was very ill and her behaviour got most peculiar and she ended up being hospitalised and a brain scan was done. This showed fronto-temporal variant of Alzheimers.When she came out her behaviour deteriorated and she started wandering and banging on windows. She was desperate to go home. She bullied my dad, standing over him and demanding he do something. At 99 my dad is reasonably well but very deaf and frail. He could not cope with her yelling. If she was not yelling she was crying.

So last July we had to move my mum to a dementia home as the care home they were in could not keep her anymore. We had to separate them after 71 years of marriage and it was awful.

At first we took dad to see mum but as the months have gone on it has become impossible. My mum gets so distressed, then my dad gets distressed and we have to take him away. My dad is philosophical about the situation; he misses mum but he likes his care home and quite frankly he doesn't miss the nagging. Mum was always rather bossy and controlling towards him. We have asked him many times if he wants to be in the same (non-dementia wing) home as mum but he is adamant he doesn't want to go.

So, after a particularly distressing visit, we have made the decision (and the care homes have agreed) that we can't take him to visit her anymore. The thing is that although mum's memory is terrible (she has no awareness of where she is most of the time, thinking she is on a cruise ship on in someone else's house) but she knows that she is apart from dad and she is heartbroken. Her brain tells her he has left her and 'gone to London'.

In two days it is my dad's 100th and we are having a family party at his care home. I have wracked my brains to think of any way I could bring mum, it seems so wrong that she won't be there, all her children, grand-children and some great-grandchildren are attending but it would be awful. She would completely break down on seeing dad and he would get upset and the whole thing would be ruined.

But I still feel terrible for her. What a cruel disease this is.

People keep telling me she will 'settle' but they don't know my mum. She was never a 'communal' person. She had few friends. Her life was my dad since she was 14 years old. Her worst nightmare was to be put into a care home as i am afraid she does have a rather superior personality. She is desperately unhappy and I am the one that sees it the most as my siblings don't visit often and I visit twice a week.

I wish she would pass away so she could be at peace.

Thank you for listening.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
What a predicament. However, I completely agree with your decision that it'd be best not to include your mum. It's your dad's special day so don't do anything that deflects from his enjoyment of it.

Many of us have had to make such decisions at memorable family events. I didn't take my mum to my daughter's wedding as she wouldn't have coped, but it was sad that she never got the chance to see her only granddaughter walking up the aisle. She would have loved that.

Life, sadly, is never picture-book perfect. Don't let any of this spoil the day with your dad.

And please wish him a happy birthday from everyone on Talking Point :)

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi there. Haven't been on for a while but things with my parents have got to a heartbreaking point and I need some support! My mum is 91 and my dad is 100 in two days. 18 months ago they had to go into a care home together as my mum had shingles and my dad couldn't look after her. She was very ill and her behaviour got most peculiar and she ended up being hospitalised and a brain scan was done. This showed fronto-temporal variant of Alzheimers.When she came out her behaviour deteriorated and she started wandering and banging on windows. She was desperate to go home. She bullied my dad, standing over him and demanding he do something. At 99 my dad is reasonably well but very deaf and frail. He could not cope with her yelling. If she was not yelling she was crying.

So last July we had to move my mum to a dementia home as the care home they were in could not keep her anymore. We had to separate them after 71 years of marriage and it was awful.

At first we took dad to see mum but as the months have gone on it has become impossible. My mum gets so distressed, then my dad gets distressed and we have to take him away. My dad is philosophical about the situation; he misses mum but he likes his care home and quite frankly he doesn't miss the nagging. Mum was always rather bossy and controlling towards him. We have asked him many times if he wantjs to be in the same (non-dementia wing) home as mum but he is adamant he doesn't want to go.

So, after a particularly distressing visit, we have made the decision (and the care homes have agreed) that we can't take him to visit her anymore. The thing is that although mum's memory is terrible (she has no awareness of where she is most of the time, thinking she is on a cruise ship on in someone else's house) but she knows that she is apart from dad and she is heartbroken. Her brain tells her he has left her and 'gone to London'.

In two days it is my dad's 100th and we are having a family party at his care home. I have wracked my brains to think of any way I could bring mum, it seems so wrong that she won't be there, all her children, grand-children and some great-grandchildren are attending but it would be awful. She would completely break down on seeing dad and he would get upset and the whole thing would be ruined.

But I still feel terrible for her. What a cruel disease this is.

People keep telling me she will 'settle' but they don't know my mum. She was never a 'communal' person. She had few friends. Her life was my dad since she was 14 years old. Her worst nightmare was to be put into a care home as i am afraid she does have a rather superior personality. She is desperately unhappy and I am the one that sees it the most as my siblings don't visit often and I visit twice a week.

I wish she would pass away so she could be at peace.

Thank you for listening.

Try to focus on your Dad's day now. He will enjoy it so much. Happy Birthday to him. He is happy, safe and well. Have a great day.

I don't know how long your Mum is in a CH. Is it early days? If so she may settle. Everyone is so different. How is she when you are not with her? Ask staff. A shorter visit may work better.

The main thing is that your parents are well looked after and you are doing your best for them.

Lots of virtual hugs,

Aisling

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
How is she when you are not with her? Ask staff. A shorter visit may work better.

The main thing is that your parents are well looked after and you are doing your best for them.

Lots of virtual hugs,

Aisling
Actually, this is something to be aware of. After my husband had been in the nursing home a few weeks, and most of my visits were still spent with him crying at me, either wanting me to stay, or wanting me to take him with me - I always had to time my leaving for his lunch time and get one of the staff to take him to the dining room so I could get away. So one day, I talked to the nurse manager about how he was when I wasn't there, and described my visits. Her mouth fell open in shock! She said that he seemed so settled and happy - so she talked to the staff, and they said that literally, as soon as I was out of his line of sight, he was perfectly happy and settled! He walked all over the home, relaxed in the lounge etc. And after a few weeks, he was delighted to see me, but didn't mind me leaving.

Enjoy your father's birthday. To be honest, it's probably more in your own heart and head that you will feel it that your mum isn't there - it won't make a difference to your mum, she is unlikely to realise about the birthday. And it sounds as if (sorry to be so blunt) your dad would enjoy the day more without the disruption.

The thing is, a birthday celebration and family gathering for his birthday is wonderful, and should certainly be done. But your dad is 100 years old. It will probably be quite enough for him to cope with, without the added strain of your mum being there, if she was going to be distressed.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
What a horrible situation for you all! It really does sound as if having mum at the 'party' would be too much for both of them. You feel awful about it, I know, but try and remind yourself that it is the disease that has done this, not you

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
Sounds like it would not benefit either of them for your mum to be at the party - and would likely be distressing to them both. No question - its very very sad, but its just something that can't be fixed.
As regards your mum not settling - don't give up hope. I would honestly never have believed my dad could settle. He was always a very non-social person and prone to see the worst in people. I really really would not have believed he could live in a communal situation. To my utter surprise he did settle after a while and was happy to join in with activities etc.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
As difficult as it is, I think it's best that you do not take your mother to the party. You will be on tenterhooks the whole time and will not be able to enjoy yourself. Most likely, your father will be on edge, your mother will be upset and this will likely translate to the whole family.

She will settle eventually. My mother took months - she actually packed up all her clothes every single day for two months. My mother also was not a very social person, she only had a very small circle of friends. Your mother will settle. Not soon enough for you, probably, but she will. Hang in there.

ferniegirl

May 10, 2015
Surrey, UK
Thank you..

for all your kind replies. We had the event yesterday and it was lovely although my dad was so frail and tired I don't really think he took much in and as soon as he had eaten his food he wanted to go to bed, bless him. He got his card from the Queen! It was so special having four generations there, my dad at 100 and then the youngest great-grandson aged 9 weeks.

Mum would have loved it, such a shame.

I do hope she does settle but she's been in dementia care now for nearly a year and hasn't joined in any of the activities yet. The day I find her sitting round a table making paper flowers will be a miracle day indeed! So glad that some of your parents settled after a shaky start and I live in hope.

Thanks again

Dothedealnow

Account Closed
Jun 4, 2016
On the settling down issue may I suggest a couple of things? My mum sounds exactly like your mum, with the exception that my father passed away 35 years ago. Mum is aloof, private, independent, a little condescending etc.

She was in hospital earlier this year after a UTI then later at home where her behaviour was terrible. She was admitted to an NHS Mental Health Unit where her behaviour has been transformed with the correct doseage of meds. She will be discharged to nursing home shortly.

So if you get your mums meds reviewed she is much more likely to settle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evennavi49