hearing

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
My piglet has started to not hear me, she says i mumble. The odd thing is she can hear an aircraft coming long before i can and she will hear a car door even with the tv on. I can't but i wear hearing aids which frankly are not good ( £2000 for something that at best is mediocre) the question, does dementia make for selective hearing. I don't like raising my voice to her as she will accuse me of getting cross. ( rock and a hard place ) Suggestions please. I'm all ears, not

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Do you speak at a normal pace @tonebear? I realise when I speak to mum like another adult it’s too fast for her to process. I try to make an effort to speak slowly as if English was her second language. I often forget 🙈🙈

Also she can only manage one instruction at a time. Eg if I say stand up and walk to the toilet - it’s too much ….I have to break it down …

Could either of those be what she is struggling to articulate?

Mum has vascular dementia, I can’t remember if your Piglet is Az or VD…whether that makes a difference I donr know

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
When MIchael Parkinson was going to interview Nelson Mandela, Mandela said to Parkinson "You do know I'm deaf", so Michael Parkinson said, "Are there particular questions you want me to ask? Shall speak slower - would that help? Or should I speak louder?" Mandela replied "Don't worry, I'll hear the questions I'm prepared to answer!"

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have quite a severe hearing loss and no aids.

As I've aged I find younger people speak too quickly and by younger, I mean middle aged people too.

If I have to speak on the phone I usually need to ask people [strangers] to slow down.

I do think many people with dementia either have slower processing or have problems with complex sentences.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I have quite a severe hearing loss and no aids.

As I've aged I find younger people speak too quickly and by younger, I mean middle aged people too.

If I have to speak on the phone I usually need to ask people [strangers] to slow down.

I do think many people with dementia either have slower processing or have problems with complex sentences.
Yes I agree @Grannie G
My wife's hearing has deteriorated with age, one ear worse than the other. The dementia means slower processing, and care needs to be taken to use simpler words/phrases, slower speech tempo, better annunciation, etc. I don't speak too loudly, otherwise she queries why I'm shouting! So, TV difficult to follow as it's all too fast even if sub-titles on.

Many years ago, one of my wife's aged aunts used to make me laugh. She'd phone up and say who she was. I would ask her if she had her hearing aids in. She'd say, hang on, I'll put my hearing aids in. Then, I'd ask her if she had turned on her hearing aids. She'd say, hang on, I'll turn my hearing aids on. Alright now auntie? Why are you shouting at me! Why did you phone? Oh, I don't know now.
The joys of aging!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Quite often with dementia the problems is in the processing side.
They can hear things, but cannot work out what is being said and many think that if they turn the sound up they will hear it better.

Make sure you are facing her and dont speak too fast. You may have to simplify what you say and not give too much information all at once.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
It sounds like your wife has a processing problem so I’d agree about speaking more slowly and one thing at a time, as it doesn’t sound like it’s her hearing as such.
As for your hearing, have you been in contact with the NHS service in your area recently. I too once spent lots of money on hearing aids, which weren’t great, and I’ve had not great service from the NHS in the past. My current NHS provider have been brilliant though and my new aids have transformed my life.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Do you speak at a normal pace @tonebear? I realise when I speak to mum like another adult it’s too fast for her to process. I try to make an effort to speak slowly as if English was her second language. I often forget 🙈🙈

Also she can only manage one instruction at a time. Eg if I say stand up and walk to the toilet - it’s too much ….I have to break it down …

Could either of those be what she is struggling to articulate?

Mum has vascular dementia, I can’t remember if your Piglet is Az or VD…whether that makes a difference I donr know
Yes i does seem to work if i speak slower. The instruction are ok at the moment. And she has vascular. Thanks so much for that one can almost always get an answer on here.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
It sounds like your wife has a processing problem so I’d agree about speaking more slowly and one thing at a time, as it doesn’t sound like it’s her hearing as such.
As for your hearing, have you been in contact with the NHS service in your area recently. I too once spent lots of money on hearing aids, which weren’t great, and I’ve had not great service from the NHS in the past. My current NHS provider have been brilliant though and my new aids have transformed my life.
That's why i went private in the first place as my NHS audio dept got slower and more long winded, I'll wait for a bit and try the NHS again.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
They can hear things, but cannot work out what is being said and many think that if they turn the sound up they will hear it better.

Make sure you are facing her and dont speak too fast. You may have to simplify what you say and not give too much information all at once.
Good point as it happens in the car most frequently.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023

This is interesting canary, I keep thinking my OH needs to wear his hearing aid. (was given one 5/6 years ago but refuses) He says he heard me say something but couldn't hear everything I said. I'm now wondering if it is more the vascular dementia? as he doesn't seem to have problems if I'm facing him or he is watching TV most of the time.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
When MIchael Parkinson was going to interview Nelson Mandela, Mandela said to Parkinson "You do know I'm deaf", so Michael Parkinson said, "Are there particular questions you want me to ask? Shall speak slower - would that help? Or should I speak louder?" Mandela replied "Don't worry, I'll hear the questions I'm prepared to answer!"
😂 😂

bearbear

Oct 20, 2023
Wirral
My piglet has started to not hear me, she says i mumble. The odd thing is she can hear an aircraft coming long before i can and she will hear a car door even with the tv on. I can't but i wear hearing aids which frankly are not good ( £2000 for something that at best is mediocre) the question, does dementia make for selective hearing. I don't like raising my voice to her as she will accuse me of getting cross. ( rock and a hard place ) Suggestions please. I'm all ears, not
my husband also gets upset if I raise my voice to him, but I also thought it was selective hearing, and soon realised he had heard me but was slow to understand what I was saying and asked me to repeat it, which of course I did in a louder voice, which then upset him. So I try to keep the sound as normal as possible, but speak slowly using short sentences as too much information and I can see I am losing his attention

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
my husband also gets upset if I raise my voice to him, but I also thought it was selective hearing, and soon realised he had heard me but was slow to understand what I was saying and asked me to repeat it, which of course I did in a louder voice, which then upset him. So I try to keep the sound as normal as possible, but speak slowly using short sentences as too much information and I can see I am losing his attention
Mine gets annoyed too, accusing me of shouting but I'm sure he has selective hearing and not just having trouble processing what I've said because it's only me he has the problem with

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mine gets annoyed too, accusing me of shouting but I'm sure he has selective hearing and not just having trouble processing what I've said because it's only me he has the problem with
Interestingly, my mum (with few hearing problems) used to accuse me of shouting at her and hitting her, whereas in reality it was the other way around. I think she was misremembering the incidents

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Interestingly, my mum (with few hearing problems) used to accuse me of shouting at her and hitting her, whereas in reality it was the other way around. I think she was misremembering the incidents
That's definitely what happens here. Everything gets turned around to me being the one not him. When I ask 'when?' all I get is' I don't remember' continent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
overwhelmed79