Hearing Aids - help

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Whilst acknowledging the above are a necessity for my OH I have to say they are the bane of my life. They are either lost or not working.

The ones he favours are really on their last legs and a decision needs to be made. These ones came from the high street opticians with the funny adverts - hope you know who I mean. However, they are difficult to maintain especially as he now has a slight tremor. They go behind ear with tiny tube going into ear. Much cleaning and changing of parts involved.

He did try some button ones free from NHS but he has very small ear opening and they were always falling out. Can we go back and ask for different ones?

So before we go to SS tomorrow I would love to hear everyone else's experiences. I'm hoping there is something else out there which will suit OH better. He does have big padded earphones connected to the TV and I know these work well because he laughs in the right places and it is so important that he stays connected.

Thanking you all in anticipation (as I used to say at the end of letters).

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Hi rhubarbtree

My Dad wears private (expensive!) hearing aids, the small type that fit in the ear - no wires. They are very small and are his 2nd pair as the first pair were 'lost' at home. Now he is in a CH I check them at least weekly to give a clean and replace batteries. We have a backup pair, which are NHS ones, that fit on top of the ear, with a tube and plug going into the ear. They actually work better but Dad prefers the smaller ones - but I fear it's only a matter of time before they are lost, not least as I've seen him wear them in the wrong ears.

I would go back to the NHS and explain the ones you have are not fit for purpose and try to get an alternative.

Not sure whether that helps much! Good luck, hope you find a good solution. Gx

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Thanks for replying Georgina. I suppose the button ones fit in some ears better than others. Will try the NHS again, didn't know they did different types. We went to one of those swish new clinics where it was rush, rush, rush and they were handing the button ones out like smarties.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
you certainly can ask the NHS for different ones and our audiologist was particularly helpful with this (not usually reknowned for their help!) and spent a lot of time sorting out the best for Mum. There has been a lot of research on hearing aids and it has been said that NHS are just as good as any private aids so do persevere with your local NHS department and I hope they will be as helpful to you as they were to us

Tattoo Lane

Jun 28, 2016
Devon UK
Retired lipreading teacher

Hi, I would certainly talk to your audiologist at the hospital rather than a private hearing aid company. It may be useful if you asked to be put in touch with your local Hearing Therapist, as he or she would perhaps give even more help and support. The tiny in the ear hearing aids are NOT as powerful as the NHS behind the ear aids, the batteries in them are tiny, and they are only designed for a very mild hearing loss. NHS aids are much better, as audiologists check by using the audiogram, whether the hearing loss has worsened, and would adjust the hearing aids accordingly. The other plus with NHS aids is they are FREE, as are the batteries and the maintenance. Private aids mean you have to buy batteries, pay for maintenance and also insure them. Let' s support our wonderful audiologists and keep their jobs open. Hope this has helped.xxxx

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Hi, I would certainly talk to your audiologist at the hospital rather than a private hearing aid company. It may be useful if you asked to be put in touch with your local Hearing Therapist, as he or she would perhaps give even more help and support. The tiny in the ear hearing aids are NOT as powerful as the NHS behind the ear aids, the batteries in them are tiny, and they are only designed for a very mild hearing loss. NHS aids are much better, as audiologists check by using the audiogram, whether the hearing loss has worsened, and would adjust the hearing aids accordingly. The other plus with NHS aids is they are FREE, as are the batteries and the maintenance. Private aids mean you have to buy batteries, pay for maintenance and also insure them. Let' s support our wonderful audiologists and keep their jobs open. Hope this has helped.xxxx
. Thanks Tattoo Lane, that's really useful advice, which I shall bear in mind for my Dad. Regards. Gx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast

I would concur with this, especially as mum keeps losing her hearing aids. Everyone has to play "hunt the hearing aid" :rolleyes: I am so grateful for the NHS.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Thanks for replies have read with interest.

I had already phoned the private hearing aid shop and was told to come along on Monday as they had a clinic. Went along this morning and they were full up with appointments and couldn't understand why anyone would have said just come along. Beginning to wonder about my own capacity. Expressed my annoyance. Made an appointment for next week. It's not easy, is it, getting PWD ready, driving across town, parking etc. Thing is OH is so used to these hearing aids, they are quite old now but the audiologist is kind and often patches them up. I also find he gives us enough time while the NHS one was rush, rush, rush and taking phone calls.

But I note everything said above regarding NHS and will make contact with them again when the above fails.

Also intended to post OHs passport renewal form, after weighing, at the post office in town. Asked OH to sign it, in the little box, just like the one on his passport. Can't tell you how quickly he PRINTED his name. Back to square one on all counts.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Thanks for replies have read with interest.

I had already phoned the private hearing aid shop and was told to come along on Monday as they had a clinic. Went along this morning and they were full up with appointments and couldn't understand why anyone would have said just come along. Beginning to wonder about my own capacity. Expressed my annoyance. Made an appointment for next week. It's not easy, is it, getting PWD ready, driving across town, parking etc. Thing is OH is so used to these hearing aids, they are quite old now but the audiologist is kind and often patches them up. I also find he gives us enough time while the NHS one was rush, rush, rush and taking phone calls.

But I note everything said above regarding NHS and will make contact with them again when the above fails.

Also intended to post OHs passport renewal form, after weighing, at the post office in town. Asked OH to sign it, in the little box, just like the one on his passport. Can't tell you how quickly he PRINTED his name. Back to square one on all counts.

It's definitely not easy rhubarbtree, you have to be a master of planning and even then it doesn't always pay off! One visit to the audiologist, I had Mum and Dad (both with AD) in the car, drove round the hospital car park for over half an hour as no parking, very stressful, got to the appointment late! The last time, I was just able to take Dad, and we left super early and had a nice cup of coffee whilst waiting! Good luck with the hearing aids and the passport. Gx

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
It's definitely not easy rhubarbtree, you have to be a master of planning and even then it doesn't always pay off! One visit to the audiologist, I had Mum and Dad (both with AD) in the car, drove round the hospital car park for over half an hour as no parking, very stressful, got to the appointment late! The last time, I was just able to take Dad, and we left super early and had a nice cup of coffee whilst waiting! Good luck with the hearing aids and the passport. Gx

I remember feeling very smug when taking my mother to the hospital, first time with her blue badge. Felt sure to get space. After a frustrating search I off loaded her at the entrance to find her own way and I joined her later. Mum was touching 90 with mobility problems but she managed fine. With dementia, however, you have to stay together. Haven't started the day properly yet as OH sulking because I wouldn't let him go up the shops very early morning to get some shaving cream. I'm a get there early person as well hate arriving in a lather.

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon
Whilst acknowledging the above are a necessity for my OH I have to say they are the bane of my life. They are either lost or not working.

The ones he favours are really on their last legs and a decision needs to be made. These ones came from the high street opticians with the funny adverts - hope you know who I mean. However, they are difficult to maintain especially as he now has a slight tremor. They go behind ear with tiny tube going into ear. Much cleaning and changing of parts involved.

He did try some button ones free from NHS but he has very small ear opening and they were always falling out. Can we go back and ask for different ones?

So before we go to SS tomorrow I would love to hear everyone else's experiences. I'm hoping there is something else out there which will suit OH better. He does have big padded earphones connected to the TV and I know these work well because he laughs in the right places and it is so important that he stays connected.

Thanking you all in anticipation (as I used to say at the end of letters).

Hi Rhubarb tree
an expensive problem! My O/H lost one of hers the first week in a CH .They were the expensive in the ear ones from SS.She used to take one out and put it in her hand and she always had screwed up tissues in her hands so I think that's how it got lost.

I really am not prepared to spend a week and a half care home costs on another one but have found an older pair of NHS over the ear ones so will try those and if they get lost will try to get another NHS pair. Do they come and visit homes or do we always have to go to them?

Lorna44

Jul 16, 2016
Surrey
My mum just kept fiddling with them and saying they were broken, left them all over the place...had to give up with them in the end x

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Paid to have the SS one serviced and all is fine at the moment. Although they did say lack of cleaning had caused the fault. Recommended wiping with a baby wipe each evening. Another thing for me to remember. But it is not just a quick reminder everything is an argument at present.

Will try to persevere as I think not being able to hear forces PWD further away from everyday living.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Dad has the middle sized private hearing aids, just about big enough for him to handle although in the last few moinths I have been putting them in for him mostly.
They need batteries changing every 5 or 6 days and giving htem a brush and a poke inside plus changing the filters quite often seems to help keep them going.
I think he is getting to the stage now where even with hearing aids turned right up he struggles to hear and comprehend much. He is also struggling to see i think with his cataracts so keeping his ears working as well as possible is a priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evennavi49