He’s always cold...

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
Hi, My husband is always cold, despite me having the central heating on day and night. He wears a thermal long-sleeved top, t-shirt, thick jumper and indoor sheepskin gloves, as well as thick socks and slippers and always has socks and thermals in bed along with duvets and blankets. He’s been like this since he had Aplastic Anaemia thirty years ago, along with a brain haemorrhage, epilepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, a suspected mini stroke and MS Dementia (which really started at fifty), so nearly eight years of the dementia side of things. He has an indwelling catheter which I attend to and all personal care. I literally have to do everything for him. He’s constantly asking me to put the heating on, it is like a sauna! He is disabled and struggles to get about with his Zimmer frame in the house and I push him outdoors with the wheelchair, although I can’t do that as much now, as I have Cervical Spondylosis in my spine and neck, along with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Osteoarthritis. I suppose the limited mobility isn’t helping him either, regarding the cold aspect. He has Optic Neuritis and Nystagmus and can’t see very well and is always asking for his contact lenses to be put in, despite them being there). The same questions over and over again every day and he demands instant attention and has very little patience and loses his temper very easily. Not easy to live with and as I am a 24/7 sole carer, he is really wearing me out. As others have said, only carers know how hard it all is and yet we carry on regardless. I know for a fact my husband would never have looked after me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So sorry it`s all getting to you @Sunshine2*, although it`s hardly surprising. I think the only people who really understand the stresses of caring are those who have been there and when the carer is also ill, its even worse.

Do you get any time for yourself? If not please try. I know it will be an effort for you but it might be worth it in the long run.

find-support-near-you

Sunshine2*

May 16, 2019
So sorry it`s all getting to you @Sunshine2*, although it`s hardly surprising. I think the only people who really understand the stresses of caring are those who have been there and when the carer is also ill, its even worse.

Do you get any time for yourself? If not please try. I know it will be an effort for you but it might be worth it in the long run.

find-support-near-you
Hello, Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I do have four hours respite once a week, where I do food shopping or other jobs outside, as he doesn’t like to be left and seems to be obsessed with time. The place he goes to is brilliant, a very happy place with lots of activities.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello, Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I do have four hours respite once a week, where I do food shopping or other jobs outside, as he doesn’t like to be left and seems to be obsessed with time. The place he goes to is brilliant, a very happy place with lots of activities.

Is there any possibility you could get another session @Sunshine2*