Having the 'I would like you to have more help' conversation

Lyn13

Jan 20, 2019
I cared for my parents, both with dementia for a couple of years. I realised quite soon I couldn't do it and look after myself so gave up my job. Dad was always amendable to help from carers and happily went to a day centre once a week. He died last year and so now I care for mum. Her diagnosis was at the start of the pandemic and was given as 'Dementia not otherwise specified' although a comment made that due to her heart condition probably vascular.
I kept the personal assistant and activity carer in place that Dad had, but now I need to increase carers for food preparation as mum is declining. My main concern at present is weight loss and low appetite along with her not eating heathily. On the face of it she masks very well and friends and neighbours think she is coping and not much wrong with her. In reality her confusion, planning and organising skills are poor and her short term memory is a few minutes most of the time.
I had a conversation with her a few weeks ago about the 'future' and she said she didn't mind extra people coming into cook evening meals. She had always got on very well with the daily carers that visited for dad. Hurray I thought - so contacted a couple of agencies and one came in this week for a chat. Today we are back to square one though as she tells me she doesn't want extra people in and has no recollection of the conversation we had ( i didnt think she would remeber it).
I would love to know how people approach the carer conversation as it seems to be one of my biggest worries and hurdles at present. She lives on her own and is only a few minutes away. I do a lot for her, but draw the line at compromising my own evening meals to prepare hers as I see it as a slippery slope and it will impact my health. She is currently having microwave meals but they generally dont come with vegetables. She used to have Wiltshire farm but has decided she doesn't like their vegetables, then M&S but they have similar vegetables. I've bought packs of microwave veg but she either doesn't cook it or doesn't like it. That said she swears to me she cooks fresh veg but I keep throwing it away so I know she doesn't. I thought if I started bringing carers in with her agreement for food preparation as her needs increase she would already be familiar with them. I've asked her to have a Main meal at lunchtime (that I could prepare) but she refuses to change her ways. She tells me she is coping, that I don't need to worry and I should have my own life. My husband thinks I should just tell her that the extra carers are going to come in, although i dont want to cause her unhappiness and would rahter do it with her agreement. Underlying this as she has always been overweight and told all her life to lose weight, so, now that she is, in her mind, that is a good thing. I go on holiday in May and really want this in place before I go.

I'm sure there is no one way that works but I would be interested to hear the different ways people have raised this with their parent.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Is it possible she would accept the idea that the government has put through a new scheme for student carers to develop their skills in people's homes? Of course, this is a free service....

My mother was quite unco-operative a lot of the time, but if I said the carer would get in trouble if he/she didn't do such and such for her because it was part of their job, she would often go along with it.

Lyn13

Jan 20, 2019
Is it possible she would accept the idea that the government has put through a new scheme for student carers to develop their skills in people's homes? Of course, this is a free service....

My mother was quite unco-operative a lot of the time, but if I said the carer would get in trouble if he/she didn't do such and such for her because it was part of their job, she would often go along with it.
Thank you Joanne, I will add that to my list. She has been used to paying for care, whether her own or dads and did ask the caring agency how much. I will speak to the second agency before they arrive and see if they will go along with that idea.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Lyn13

Would your mother accept care in the home just while you are away?

If so perhaps you could suggest they start before you go away so she can get used to them and you will be able to check on them.

If your mother accepted this, the arrangement would then be able to continue when you get home.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I don't have any good ideas about how to get her to accept a visiting carer but as regards the meals themselves my system might work for you to make the meals more tempting and healthy.

I shop weekly and buy fresh ready meals that usually don't include many vegetables such as shepherd's pie or Lancashire hotpot. I also stock the fridge with fresh vegetables that are simple for carers to prepare and cook alongside the bought meal. ( Carers vary a lot as regards basic cooking skills). I plan a menu for the week so that food is used in date order and print it out for carers to follow. So although the meals are perhaps not haute cuisine they are reasonably tasty and my dad has plenty of fresh vegetables to eat. I also ensure a supply of fresh fruit salad and fruit trifle for desserts.

Lyn13

Jan 20, 2019
Hello @Lyn13

Would your mother accept care in the home just while you are away?

If so perhaps you could suggest they start before you go away so she can get used to them and you will be able to check on them.

If your mother accepted this, the arrangement would then be able to continue when you get home.
Great minds think alike....it was my plan and as it can take some time to settle in its why I was trying to start now. It was a strategy I used for my dad's care and it worked then. I will keep trying to get it in place before I go.

Lyn13

Jan 20, 2019
I don't have any good ideas about how to get her to accept a visiting carer but as regards the meals themselves my system might work for you to make the meals more tempting and healthy.

I shop weekly and buy fresh ready meals that usually don't include many vegetables such as shepherd's pie or Lancashire hotpot. I also stock the fridge with fresh vegetables that are simple for carers to prepare and cook alongside the bought meal. ( Carers vary a lot as regards basic cooking skills). I plan a menu for the week so that food is used in date order and print it out for carers to follow. So although the meals are perhaps not haute cuisine they are reasonably tasty and my dad has plenty of fresh vegetables to eat. I also ensure a supply of fresh fruit salad and fruit trifle for desserts.
Thanks for your ideas. It's similar to what I am doing now except I don't have the carers to do the veg. You have helped me not to feel so alone with this problem.