Having a rant still undiagnosed

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
GP is going to refer him to memory clinic.I checked his online notes and he has still not been referred. He is so forgetful, short term memory is non existent. He asked me to buy a six months daily mail subscription at half price. He goes and buy his newspaper every morning, a 10 mins walk from where we live. He still forgets to exchange the voucher for a free newspaper. I have clipped the coupon to his credit card for ease and it does not work. Came back gave me the voucher and said he forgot to give it. He is paying for newspaper twice unless I go and buy it myself. He also buys lottery tickets everyday. How do I stop that, can I go to the shop and told manager not to sell him tickets.? I do not want to put a block on his card. He still tells me there is nothing wrong with him.This is a minor issue, sorry for the rant. Any suggestions welcome. Thinking of doing a good deed finding somebody who can use the vouchers.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @Jan48, it's very frustrating I know.

With the newspapers, I had a similar problem with my husband when he was alive. Fortunately, it was just a little corner shop he went to and I had a word with the shop owner. He was very helpful and used to keep the newspapers under the counter, ready for my husband to collect - then he would remind him about the vouchers. It might be something your own newsagent could do, if it is a small shop with a personal touch.

i am not sure what the situation is re. lottery tickets but, at this point, I don't think that the manager would be able to stop your husband buying them.

My husband used to buy lottery tickets and lots of things that I considered to be a waste of money, but even when diagnosed he still retained a level of mental capacity for some years and, as his POA, I had to accept that he was allowed to make unwise choices, like anybody else. I only took over when his unwise choices would have put him at risk of danger to himself.

Others might have different experiences and views on this though.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Rant away honey all here to listen, don't know how to do it but have a virtual hug from me. K

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Hi @Jan48, it's very frustrating I know.

With the newspapers, I had a similar problem with my husband when he was alive. Fortunately, it was just a little corner shop he went to and I had a word with the shop owner. He was very helpful and used to keep the newspapers under the counter, ready for my husband to collect - then he would remind him about the vouchers. It might be something your own newsagent could do, if it is a small shop with a personal touch.

i am not sure what the situation is re. lottery tickets but, at this point, I don't think that the manager would be able to stop your husband buying them.

My husband used to buy lottery tickets and lots of things that I considered to be a waste of money, but even when diagnosed he still retained a level of mental capacity for some years and, as his POA, I had to accept that he was allowed to make unwise choices, like anybody else. I only took over when his unwise choices would have put him at risk of danger to himself.

Others might have different experiences and views on this though.
Thanks for your useful post. It is a small shop with different staff. He will be mad with me if I have a word with the manager. I will try to speak with the staff. It’s only lotteries and hot cross buns now. He has not been diagnosed yet but all the symptoms point to dementia. He was the one who suggested I bought the half price daily mail subscription to save money I should have known better. Could be worse going on a shopping spree.It’s his money but it does upset me with the lotteries but he does remember to check the tickets. I also have poa. I did think of losing his credit card on purpose but that would not be nice.