• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Having a hard few days (1st post!)


Registered User
Aug 21, 2015
My mum resides in a care home, I am her only visitor 3 sometimes 4 times a week. 2 siblings only appear every once to 10 days & the other has visited 4 times this year. It's hard to motivate mum & take her to places of interest, she seldom leaves the car when we are out. I am the only person that takes her out of the home.
I am finding it difficult as the home has asked me if it is ok to use some of mums funds to purchase a contour bed, I have no problem with this as my mums comfort is extremely important, the nurse spoke of some scenarios like mum becoming bed bound etc, it's just a worry, I no they are maybe trying to prepare me. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks


Registered User
Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hello Hoopygirl and welcome to TP. Do you have Power of Attorney that allows you to authorise the spending of your mum's money? I only ask in case one of your siblings might challenge such a decision.

It also surprises me that care homes which, as we know, charge large amounts for the care they provide should ask for an item that it seems is clearly needed for proper care should be funded by the resident. Has your mum ever been considered for Continuing Health Care? This need certainly sounds like a medical need. Even if your mum did not qualify for CHC I believe that there are other ways that funding might be secured.

Also, I wonder what would happen to the bed when it was no longer needed?

I think it might be a good idea to get advice on this before agreeing to the money cpming from your mum.


Registered User
Aug 21, 2015
thanks for your reply Stanley. I hold guardianship for my mum, I have never heard of continuing health care. The bed she has at present is a hospital bed. I have asked for the receipt when the bed is delivered. Tbh I did think of purchasing a bed as the one mum has isn't great. I have asked the home about funding etc & they have assured me they do not get anything. Social work informed me a few weeks back when I was asked to purchase a wheelchair that it is the families that have to supply.


Registered User
Aug 21, 2015
Hi Hoopygirl :)

Like Stanley I find it surprising you are being asked to fund a bed. :confused:
Hello Cat, I have called social work re a wheelchair i was asked to get & the sw told me the home do not supply, so my guess is that the same for the bed ☺


Registered User
Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Care home have to look after, and supply, everything for your mums needs in my opinion

My mum is self funding for her care....

She has a hospital bed the care home decided she needed. They provided it

She has a wheelchair - they have provided it

She has a Zimmer frame - they have provided it

If care home feel your mums best interests are that she has this equipment... They should provide it

and not guilt feed you into paying for it.

If mum is under LA payment and If it's in HER best interests to have this equipment. She should have it.

Nothing to do with you paying for it.

But some... Will use it against your guilt to make you pay financially for it

If you are ok about paying... Then pay....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point