Have we put our dad in a home too early ?

Distraught79

Feb 4, 2021
My dad is the most wonderful and gentle man. I cannot cope with the guilt; have we put him in a home too early ?

My dad was diagnosed 19 months ago with Alzheimer’s. We knew he had problems and were expecting ‘this’; however, the reality is now very clear and excruciating.

Have we put our wonderful father in a home too early ?

I’ve read thousands of website advice posts, yet I’m still wracked with guilt and unsure.

In his own home, my wonderful dad (who lived alone) firstly began not to feed himself (he “wasn’t hungry.”) but , other than a little forgetfulness , was fine . He started to struggle with finding the right words, delaying speech a little, and lost his ability to use his mobile phone or remember his post code etc. He had to give up work (his life ) and driving at only 75.

At this point, we arranged carers to give him his breakfast and evening meal. He had a person to take him shopping. 12 months later, his symptoms worsened. This was September this year . He would go to bed at 10pm, only to wake at 1am and think it was morning and stay sat in his living room with his fire on full blast . He lost all concept of time and money . He watched TV without really taking in what was on it -unless prompted. He started colouring child’s colouring books (given to him by us) and craved the attention and praise from this . He carried his box of paints like a prized possession-almost like a security blanket. He became childlike and went to day care -yet was very anxious about when and where he would be picked up . He started occasion hallucinations such as a wedding outside his window or people speaking to him on the TV. We knew he is not ‘ok’ especially when he started to think carers were robbing him or poisoning his food. Still placid and friendly, he stopped bathing. He deteriorated rapidly to this point. This was from Sept to Dec .

For this period, my sister would see my dad daily . She would go shopping with him and supply the carers with food. She would keep him busy every day. Day care was a God send for her -and we increased this from 2 days to 5. Although my dad felt too young for this daycare group, he still went and enjoyed it which gave my sister some much deserved rest.

This left him with evenings free. I would visit , or his ex wife (my mum) or sister. The wandering started. Mainly, I feel, because he woke too early and would walk to church or my sister’s house as he was confused with the time . Sometimes, he would return by himself. Other times, he became lost and the police were called to find him. This did not happen often enough , in my opinion, to put him in a home and call him a risk . Is this because we protected him so much to avoid this or is this not bad enough to warrant him being desperately distraught in a home ?

We had an alarm system fitted so we knew when he left the house -with care call . We had a tracker put in his shoes and a camera in his living room and door.

A few incidents of him wandering meant that we put him in a home for one week . This was because his day care was cancelled and my sister and I could not be there 24-7 just in case he went walkabout. The guilt was immense as this was over Christmas. The week before , we have took turns staying over at his house to make sure he did not wander. It’s impossible to say if he would have if we hadn’t been there .

He is not a well man. However, we have put him in a home for two weeks now and I cannot bare to see him there . He doesn’t understand why he is there (we have told him it is to check his new medication works) and his is constantly trying to leave. Due to Covid , he is locked in the facility and cannot cope with this . He does not understand and thinks he is fine .

My dad has gone downhill rapidly since going in the home . He had a few occasions where the disease was so overwhelming that he couldn’t distinguish between a photo and a book . He cannot hold a phone to his ear and cannot give eye contact . He is distressed as the other residents are very much older than him and can’t communicate with them . My dad is nowhere near this stage of age or infirm and we can have conversations -usually with encouragement - with him. CV19 means we can only window visit (which we have been daily or almost daily) . He tries to leave several times a day and night so they are trying put him on another ward -which I will fight for not to happen.

My concern is that we have put him in a home too early . He is young and cannot make friends or settle with these ‘old people’. We cannot take him out or spend time with him as we always would. That said, as full time workers , my sister and I cannot be with him at his own home all the time and it was overwhelming trying to either stay with him or constantly check the cameras that he hadn’t left his home. I feel that as he got lost only a handful of times , that Id rather he be in his own home . This is unfair on my sister who takes him as her responsibility daily by seeing him and taking him out .

Him being distressed in a home is making the guilt unbearable. I want him at home yet I cannot supply the level of care he needs . I feel that we could cope a little bit longer though -the worry being the strain it puts on personal relationships and work . That said , this guilt is worse . Some days he is lucid and others (since being in the home ) he is completely confused and unwell . I’m not sure which is worse to deal with . He feels we have put him in prison . It’s like kicking a puppy.

How do you know if you have made the right decision ?

I have read posts and can see that others have patents that are far further progressed. How long did you wait ? We all love my dad so much and just want the best for him. The guilt is insane . Have we subjected him to care when he’s better at home ?

He is not at the angry stage -or ringing constantly. I know this is to come and I don’t know how anyone can live with this guilt .

This is extremely long -but any advice would really help as the posts I have read show loved ones much further down the line.

Thank you ,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Distraught79

It sounds to me as if even with care and support, when your dad was alone he was at risk.

I found I had to decide on residential care for my mother much earlier in her dementia than I did for my husband. My husband had someone with him 24/7 while my mother only had people with her when she was in Monday to Friday day care and when we attended morning and evening and at the weekends.

How many hours was your dad alone? This is my criteria for someone who is unable to take care of themselves and tends to wander.

When my husband went into residential care I worried it made his condition worse.

A friend here on Talking Point asked me to consider if my husband`s condition had deteriorated because he was in residential care of was he in care because his condition had deteriorated.

It is not written in stone that your dad will become angry with you . Covid is not helping him settle. It is not your fault.

Please give him time and try not to feel so guilty. We all do, its somehow unavoidable, but if it`s the only alternative it has to be faced.

I hope you will get enough support here on Talking Point to help ease your guilt.

Jane11

Jan 27, 2021
Hi @Distraught79
I understand the guilt you are feeling. I have felt guilty too. My mum lived with her partner until before Christmas. She had gone downhill rapidly wandering etc as you described but she got lost and ended up on a busy road and was lucky a lovely couple found her. The outcome could have been a lot worse. She began getting very emotional then angry and lashing out. Her partner was really struggling and I helped as much as I could and had guilt of not helping enough. Before Christmas I contacted her doctor and we made the decision to get her professional help I brought her to the hospital and the guilt I felt leaving her was unbearable as I knew that this was the start of her new journey. She ended up with covid thankfully was ok and has now gone into a care home. I haven’t seen her since before Christmas. I’ve had a video call with her in the home and she’s like a different person. She’s relaxed and safe. The guilt is still there but I know deep down it’s the right decision. It breaks my heart as she’s 73. It’s so unfair but it’s to protect her.
What I’m trying to say is there is no right time and it’s different for everyone but try not to feel guilty. As my mums doctor said to me you are doing it because you want the best for them. Give him time to settle and see how it goes. It’s not easy for us as their child to make these decisions but they are for the right reasons.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
As @Jane11 said there is no right or wrong time. I think most of us feel guilt and wonder if we did the right thing and have we chosen the right place.
I lived about 70 miles from Mum and she had Carers in twice a day and I went and stayed 2 days a week. When Mum got to the point where she could not use the tv, the phone and did not recognise her door keys (even when they were in her hand) I decided it was time she went into a Home as I felt she was unsafe at Home and I thought very lonely. There were other supporting issues, although she had never wandered. I would also probably say she was at an earlier stage that you Dad (but different if that makes any sort of sense)
Mum has now been in her Care Home for 15 months and I don’t feel guilty about her going into the Home but I do feel guilty as to whether I put her in the right one as it has taken her some time to settle.
Mum will usually tell me that the place is awful. I have seen photos on the Home’s FB page where she is scowling with arms folded. I have also seen some with her smiling. Yesterday I got asked if she had done dancing professionally as she had started doing ballroom dancing with one of the Carers and was laughing and smiling. I guess my point is have you spoken to any of his Carers or manager as to how they feel he is settling
I appreciate that your Dad is younger but my Mum also complains about the other ‘old people’ there and she is 91.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Hard as it seems, it might be better if you did not visit your dad so often, it can take a while to settle and visits can make it worse. It took my mum months to get used to her care home and even after almost a year, she can still be confused and agitated about where she is.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
My dad is the most wonderful and gentle man. I cannot cope with the guilt; have we put him in a home too early ?

My dad was diagnosed 19 months ago with Alzheimer’s. We knew he had problems and were expecting ‘this’; however, the reality is now very clear and excruciating.

Have we put our wonderful father in a home too early ?

I’ve read thousands of website advice posts, yet I’m still wracked with guilt and unsure.

In his own home, my wonderful dad (who lived alone) firstly began not to feed himself (he “wasn’t hungry.”) but , other than a little forgetfulness , was fine . He started to struggle with finding the right words, delaying speech a little, and lost his ability to use his mobile phone or remember his post code etc. He had to give up work (his life ) and driving at only 75.

At this point, we arranged carers to give him his breakfast and evening meal. He had a person to take him shopping. 12 months later, his symptoms worsened. This was September this year . He would go to bed at 10pm, only to wake at 1am and think it was morning and stay sat in his living room with his fire on full blast . He lost all concept of time and money . He watched TV without really taking in what was on it -unless prompted. He started colouring child’s colouring books (given to him by us) and craved the attention and praise from this . He carried his box of paints like a prized possession-almost like a security blanket. He became childlike and went to day care -yet was very anxious about when and where he would be picked up . He started occasion hallucinations such as a wedding outside his window or people speaking to him on the TV. We knew he is not ‘ok’ especially when he started to think carers were robbing him or poisoning his food. Still placid and friendly, he stopped bathing. He deteriorated rapidly to this point. This was from Sept to Dec .

For this period, my sister would see my dad daily . She would go shopping with him and supply the carers with food. She would keep him busy every day. Day care was a God send for her -and we increased this from 2 days to 5. Although my dad felt too young for this daycare group, he still went and enjoyed it which gave my sister some much deserved rest.

This left him with evenings free. I would visit , or his ex wife (my mum) or sister. The wandering started. Mainly, I feel, because he woke too early and would walk to church or my sister’s house as he was confused with the time . Sometimes, he would return by himself. Other times, he became lost and the police were called to find him. This did not happen often enough , in my opinion, to put him in a home and call him a risk . Is this because we protected him so much to avoid this or is this not bad enough to warrant him being desperately distraught in a home ?

We had an alarm system fitted so we knew when he left the house -with care call . We had a tracker put in his shoes and a camera in his living room and door.

A few incidents of him wandering meant that we put him in a home for one week . This was because his day care was cancelled and my sister and I could not be there 24-7 just in case he went walkabout. The guilt was immense as this was over Christmas. The week before , we have took turns staying over at his house to make sure he did not wander. It’s impossible to say if he would have if we hadn’t been there .

He is not a well man. However, we have put him in a home for two weeks now and I cannot bare to see him there . He doesn’t understand why he is there (we have told him it is to check his new medication works) and his is constantly trying to leave. Due to Covid , he is locked in the facility and cannot cope with this . He does not understand and thinks he is fine .

My dad has gone downhill rapidly since going in the home . He had a few occasions where the disease was so overwhelming that he couldn’t distinguish between a photo and a book . He cannot hold a phone to his ear and cannot give eye contact . He is distressed as the other residents are very much older than him and can’t communicate with them . My dad is nowhere near this stage of age or infirm and we can have conversations -usually with encouragement - with him. CV19 means we can only window visit (which we have been daily or almost daily) . He tries to leave several times a day and night so they are trying put him on another ward -which I will fight for not to happen.

My concern is that we have put him in a home too early . He is young and cannot make friends or settle with these ‘old people’. We cannot take him out or spend time with him as we always would. That said, as full time workers , my sister and I cannot be with him at his own home all the time and it was overwhelming trying to either stay with him or constantly check the cameras that he hadn’t left his home. I feel that as he got lost only a handful of times , that Id rather he be in his own home . This is unfair on my sister who takes him as her responsibility daily by seeing him and taking him out .

Him being distressed in a home is making the guilt unbearable. I want him at home yet I cannot supply the level of care he needs . I feel that we could cope a little bit longer though -the worry being the strain it puts on personal relationships and work . That said , this guilt is worse . Some days he is lucid and others (since being in the home ) he is completely confused and unwell . I’m not sure which is worse to deal with . He feels we have put him in prison . It’s like kicking a puppy.

How do you know if you have made the right decision ?

I have read posts and can see that others have patents that are far further progressed. How long did you wait ? We all love my dad so much and just want the best for him. The guilt is insane . Have we subjected him to care when he’s better at home ?

He is not at the angry stage -or ringing constantly. I know this is to come and I don’t know how anyone can live with this guilt .

This is extremely long -but any advice would really help as the posts I have read show loved ones much further down the line.

Thank you ,
Your dilemma is perfectly understood. The notion that a loved parent is to leave their home at the behest of others and enter a strange environment inhabited by strangers, is a very difficult factor in what is, alas, a reality. Alzheimer's will progress and each and every person living with that disease will present differently. But it is almost inevitable that the decision you have made would become a necessary one in due course. At home it becomes essential to adopt a 24 hour regime of Care and that regime involves the domestic along with the palliative as Alzheimer's develops. I see both from direct personal experience and from close observation in a Care Home, that the seemingly benign behaviours and temperament which accompany early stage dementia and the great value of the Day centre and days of respite, eventually progress into the transition into Care either because "nursing " demands it or that the dementia has made home care simply impossible as unpredictable behaviour becomes precarious if not dangerous. In short, a time arrives when you have no choice. It is hard. Very hard. Because that dreaded "guilt " tugs at your heart and you picture a father or mother isolated in confused despair and asking why did they do this? That " guilt" for the most part remains in your possession and does not relate to the loved one living with Alzheimer’s in the same way. I can say without hesitation, that you do NOT want " emergency respite": That is the culmination of the utmost Care at home, which has become so overwhelming that the daily care no longer addresses the demands of the dementia. The loved one has become unmanageable. The physical care has become completely exhausting (two or three hours coaxing someone to bed, constantly subject to reluctance and aggression) a meal thrown across the room, paranoia with perpetual yelling and utter distress as the front door is tugged at and locks are grappled with....... And worse. That is MY story and does not imply the passage of your own. I simply wished to express the fact that a transition into a Care Home ( a good one) is not something which you need to feel is by choice. Alzheimer's dictates. This is not a simplistic statement, it is a fact and one born out of years of association with dementia in both a Care Home and with my late mother.
It seems to be a very fair thing to say, that " settling" into a Care Home takes a few months. In my mother's case it was just over three months. The transition was very very hard at the time. The aftermath became profoundly better. The Home was excellent in understanding dementia in its varied presentations. Residents often seemed more like hotel guests, with regular hearty meals, varied recreational activities and CONSTANT care - This is important. Properly trained Care staff with the PROPER ATTITUDE can literally transform a precarious situation ( at home) after a given period.
Then, when one visits a loved one you find a level of ' contented dementia ' which was virtually unimaginable at home.

Covid-19 has placed a very great burden on this whole area and l respect that fact deeply. It seems we might be witnessing some real light on the horizon soon.

Try not to dwell on the "guilt" and focus on the "now". Treat this Forum as a meeting place of like-minded folk who can give authentic guidance with genuine affection, because they KNOW about dementia as a living actuality and will embrace you with open arms as part of that community and with heartfelt empathy .

With warm wishes.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If your father was still at home (or went back there) he would definitely be at risk. The wandering is a big red light - he won't stop doing this or suddenly know night from day again. I think you've been fortunate that his previous wanderings did not end badly. But, he could have walked into a road and got run over or caused an accident. He could have got lost, hurt himself and be found lying in a cold, wet field somewhere. He could fall and hit his head. He could have met up with some unsavoury character who robbed/hurt him. You have moved him before these things could happen, which is much better for all than waiting till a crisis occurs - which it definitely would.

You've already stated that you (and your sister) were unable to provide sufficient care for his needs and that is was putting a strain on family relationships.

Your father will only deteriorate from where he is now. He will become more confused, incontinent and maybe have other issues. It may take him a while to get used to his new life but full time care is what he needs even if it may not be what he - or you - wants.

It was only after my mother went in a care home that I realised quite how bad she was. Before that, many of her symptoms had been hidden because she was protected and carefully watched/managed by me. Whilst I completely accepted her dementia, I think I was in denial about how bad it was and I certainly experienced the feelings of 'is this too soon?' I have to say, she was never really happy there and didn't mix with other residents, but realistically, she wouldn't have been happy anywhere.

Give it time. You have done what's best for your dad - it's what he needs now and as time goes on I think you'll stop questioning your decision. Impossible to do without guilt though!

Lone Wolf

Sep 20, 2020
Likewise @Jaded'n'faded. Many (but not all) Alzheimer's/dementia changes are incremental and when you are caring for your partner/relative 24/7, you don't necessarily perceive how bad things have become until you step back for whatever reason.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Distraught79 I managed to keep my lovely dad in his own home but he was very easy to look after. No wandering, no sundowning, no incontinence, just the usual forgetfulness and declining abilities. I had to move in 24/7 in the end. However it was hard even with my very compliant, good natured and very witty dad and I think I would have had a breakdown of some kind if it had continued.

You are going to feel guilty but it is not your fault and it is a horrible thing to have to do but it sounds as if you have done everything possible for your dad and more. No one is at fault here it is the disease that has caused this. It is a horrible disease that hurts those that care the most. Nothing you do is right and you will never know if what you have done was right or not but the fact is that whatever you do it will never be enough to meet your dads needs which are going to increase day by day.

The lockdown has made everything 100 times worse for family who can't see their loved ones. It feels criminal to not allow visitors and I understand the reasons for it but it has caused so much distress to families and damage to relationships that I wonder if it has been the right decision. Let's hope the vaccine puts an end to it very soon.

Bringing him home now would be impossible and possibly cause him more harm than good at this stage. You are in an awful situation which is absolutely not your fault.

Try to accept that you have done the right thing for your dad, he is safe, he is fed and he has people to help him 24/7 which is what he needs.