Have Financial POA but not medical POA. What do I do now that my Dad needs to go into care but says no.

Twinstwice

Nov 26, 2023
My Dad asked me to start the ball rolling to get him into a nursing home. So I did n now he's been deemed to be in an unsafe situation, as his partner likes her wine. So I've got all the funding in place and sent in my care home short list to social work. Told him today n he says he won't go even tho he asked me to get it sorted. Not having medical POA does anyone know what I do next?(live in Scotland if that makes a difference)

He has to go for his own safety. He has threatened to go a walk up a nearby big hill n sit n wait for the angels to take him. I really don't want to force him but I don't want the other scenario to play out either.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Not sure how it works in Scotland. My mum had an assessment by social services and was deemed unsafe to go home.

jimkd

Nov 28, 2023
My Dad asked me to start the ball rolling to get him into a nursing home. So I did n now he's been deemed to be in an unsafe situation, as his partner likes her wine. So I've got all the funding in place and sent in my care home short list to social work. Told him today n he says he won't go even tho he asked me to get it sorted. Not having medical POA does anyone know what I do next?(live in Scotland if that makes a difference)

He has to go for his own safety. He has threatened to go a walk up a nearby big hill n sit n wait for the angels to take him. I really don't want to force him but I don't want the other scenario to play out either.
Again not sure about Scotland but in England there would be a provisional deprivation of liberty order raised by social services or the medical side. This would be legally confirmed by a further assessment in due course for the place where he is held. However, It's all about the risk and apprehension of risk to himself and others i.e. safety. I also don't thinks it new to LA's and homes that people change their mind at the last minute about voluntarily going into a home. Not sure but I think there may be the option of temporary funding to trial it.