Has anyone Any suggestions - how best to manage frustration leading to aggression?

Mbec

May 18, 2016
Hi
New to forum and hoping for some advice from those who have a bit more experience - husband diagnosed 3 yrs ago now needs help to get washed and dressed and doesn't understand shopping - I.e. Need to pay for shopping before leaving shop. Increasingly frustrated and angry and becoming aggressive - "we need to talk" (whilst brandishing scissors) thinks I'm planning to leave/having an affair

He hides knives and hammers under the bed, but when challenged that his behaviour is frightening, is apologetic and reassuring - what do I believe?

Increasingly

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hi
New to forum and hoping for some advice from those who have a bit more experience - husband diagnosed 3 yrs ago now needs help to get washed and dressed and doesn't understand shopping - I.e. Need to pay for shopping before leaving shop. Increasingly frustrated and angry and becoming aggressive - "we need to talk" (whilst brandishing scissors) thinks I'm planning to leave/having an affair

He hides knives and hammers under the bed, but when challenged that his behaviour is frightening, is apologetic and reassuring - what do I believe?

Increasingly
Welcome to TP. You will hopefully find some help and also empathy on here. I feel that you should get in touch with your GP. If this kind of behaviour is happening often you will need to see what help there is for you and your partner. My husband has medication for threatening behaviour and the fact that he has "people" in his head telling him all sorts of things and most of it is not nice. This causes him to feel frightened and he says left out of the crowd. Difficult for us to understand but it is awful to see him so distressed. Maybe your partner has something going on in his head that makes him so angry and as his carer I'm afraid it will be you that gets the blame. There is medication that can help and my husband has been so much better with that. The voices are still there, the people are 'still in the garden' but it is all more calm (well most of the time.) I do hope things get better. It is horrible when you are frightened of the one you love. XX

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to TP.
If your husband was diagnosed by a MH Consultant I would get in touch with him/her, perhaps via secretary. Please emphasise the problems and insist on a visit or advice.

You could also speak to your GP as suggested above.

Also I suggest you speak to someone at the local branch of the Alzheimer's Society. Depending on where you live they may offer a Dementia Support Worker who will visit and offer more support and advice. You can find your local branch here:
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/...=200121&_ga=1.140515058.1556505990.1462168326

I hope that helps a little. Keep posting as I am sure others will be along to offer their support before too long.