Harder than expected

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
As you may know from my main thread, dad died last thursday. I have been pretty depressed, but slowly dealing with things. Everything has been so slow, quarter speed compared to my mums death. We have only just got dad's medical certificate of death, despite calling GP the day after, and having to wait over 2 weeks for his bed and equipment to be collected. I've been having nightmares of the final moments, unexpected. Contacting the GP tomorrow. But Im expected back at work on monday... but im not ready. I like my job, so this is not about trying to avoid it by any means. I thought I would be ready for this. But i'm not really. Still need to contact solicitors, bank, other places. Gas, water and electric sorted at least. Already contacted DWP and HMRC. But still so much to do....

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
As you may know from my main thread, dad died last thursday. I have been pretty depressed, but slowly dealing with things. Everything has been so slow, quarter speed compared to my mums death. We have only just got dad's medical certificate of death, despite calling GP the day after, and having to wait over 2 weeks for his bed and equipment to be collected. I've been having nightmares of the final moments, unexpected. Contacting the GP tomorrow. But Im expected back at work on monday... but im not ready. I like my job, so this is not about trying to avoid it by any means. I thought I would be ready for this. But i'm not really. Still need to contact solicitors, bank, other places. Gas, water and electric sorted at least. Already contacted DWP and HMRC. But still so much to do....
is it worth making a list so you can tick it off and maybe help you to not get so stressed. are you able to take any more time off work? its going through the process to work through

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Sending my condolences @AztecCamera87 on the loss of your dad.
I remember a time when the bereaved were not expected back at work until after the funeral. I feel it's expecting too much for you to return to work so soon, however, would your employer allow you to work from home if necessary, even part time, so you are still able to deal with some of the things still outstanding? Going through what you have been through with your dad all these years & in his final days cannot just be swept away. It all takes time for your mind to process the feelings & can't be rushed. Hope you have an understanding GP. Best wishes to you.

AztecCamera87

Mar 12, 2019
Hi everyone, just had the urge to drop in, can't believe it's been way over a year. We finished selling the family home last month, which was a sad time as it signified the end of an era. I went through a hard time for a few months after my dad passed away, but went through a lot of bereavement counselling, which helped me deal with what could be described as post traumatic stress disorder. I still have occasional flashbacks to the last moments of my dads life and every now and then something dementia related (such as an advert on tele) will have me in floods of tears. But time has helped make things easier to deal with. Anyway, I have a lot to deal with my partners chronic health conditions. I've also started doing a distance learning Masters degree, which takes up a lot of my free time. All the best to everyone here caring for a loved one. Things do start to get easier.