Hard work persuading her to take tablets

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Evening all,

C had a wee stomach bug last week and was sick one night. It was not a problem in itself, though she was embarrassed. She had a problem swallowing added to an angina attack.
Somewhere between the two she is now becoming increasingly reluctant to take her tablets and I have to explain what they are. Two are for constipation and she won't take those at all. I think it's time for a few love lies do you think? Sciatica is rather straining my ability to maintain compassionate communication.
Thanks for reading, just rambling away while C is with the agency carer and I can sort my brain out.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi nae sporran
definitely time for some subterfuge, never mind love lies
hide the pills in something C will happily accept - a yogurt is good (maybe one with bits of something in it anyway eg fruit or chocolate chunks), and you can honestly say that yogurt is good for the tummy too
I have given dad his pills hidden between two bits of chocolate biscuit (he doesn't refuse choccy biccy)
don't discuss pill taking at all, don't even offer them if you think C will automatically refuse - maybe sneaking them into her will let her forget her resistance and you will be able to be more upfront in a couple of days
I do appreciate that we're told that some meds shouldn't be crushed, which is another way to hide them; check with the chemist, as it would be useful to be able to resort to sprinkling in a couple of spoonsfull of eg ice cream - and hiding in food that may be chewed isn't ideal - but not taking the pills at all isn't ideal either
ask if any can be provided as liquids and then hidden in a glass of juice

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Definitely talk to the chemist so you know what can be crushed and what cannot. You may also be able to change the time of day you give some of all meds, if that would make it easier to put them in an acceptable food. Or at least you can find out which ones are time sensitive and which ones don't matter.

Jam (with big chunks of fruit) is good, also yoghurt, mousse, anything she likes and that will disguise the medicine.

There are some drugs that come in a liquid form that can be added to beverages; you can ask about that as well.

I know many on TP have experience and will be along to offer advice and suggestions. It's always good to avoid conflict!

Hope you find something that works and keep us posted! Best wishes.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I had a quick chat with Dr Google and the Senna may be hard to take in another form, so I will have to speak to the doctor. Thanks Amy, I will let you know how it goes.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
My husband stopped swallowing tablets about 3 years ago. I really think he did not understand what to do. I crushed them, emptied capsules, and mixed with 3 teaspoons yogurt. It most likely would have be frowned upon but I took it upon myself. When he went into respite I told them, and they said they couldn't do that it wasn't allowed. To be honest nothing more was said for the 2 times he went into respite. But now he is in a care home they give him his whole tablets in yogurt. And that seems to work. But he must be told every time "Here is your medicine." xx

Musicbsm

Dec 28, 2014
Hampshire
Evening all,

C had a wee stomach bug last week and was sick one night. It was not a problem in itself, though she was embarrassed. She had a problem swallowing added to an angina attack.
Somewhere between the two she is now becoming increasingly reluctant to take her tablets and I have to explain what they are. Two are for constipation and she won't take those at all. I think it's time for a few love lies do you think? Sciatica is rather straining my ability to maintain compassionate communication.
Thanks for reading, just rambling away while C is with the agency carer and I can sort my brain out.
My OH also had a problem with tablets, she is diabetic too. After discussion with our GP he relented and ordered all her medication in liquid form and this has made life much easier. It costs a lot more apparently and things like Sertraline and Mirtazipan have to be made up specially but its worthit in the long run as they can be taken with any other drink or on their own with a suitable reason "This one's for your tummy" or suchlike. Best of luck Nae.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
"Here is your medicine". That sounds like a good idea. Isn't that similar to what some people say before they knock back a glass of spirits. Maybe make a play of it along the lines of "if you can't take your pills maybe you can manage this treat as your medicine instead as a little of what you fancy does you good, eh"

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you for all your suggestions. Syrup of figs might work, whole tablets in yoghurt is a novel idea worth a try.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
"Here is your medicine". That sounds like a good idea. Isn't that similar to what some people say before they knock back a glass of spirits. Maybe make a play of it along the lines of "if you can't take your pills maybe you can manage this treat as your medicine instead as a little of what you fancy does you good, eh"
Actually it is so that you are not giving the pills without their knowledge. It is a kind of rule/law that the person knows what they are being given. !!x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Actually it is so that you are not giving the pills without their knowledge. It is a kind of rule/law that the person knows what they are being given. !!x

That would leave me in the same position as now then Casbow. C is actually managing to swallow the tablets, but is convinced that the Senna and the Lamprazole are making her sick. If I have to be honest and tell her what meds I'm giving her she may still refuse. Of course, she is entitled to refuse, I don't want to bully her or abuse her trust. I just want to make sure she takes the medication which keeps her as healthy as possible without the stress.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Oh I understood the reason for the subterfuge. I think it’s a great idea and it is now stored in my memory banks in case I need it in the future. Thanks for the idea.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
That would leave me in the same position as now then Casbow. C is actually managing to swallow the tablets, but is convinced that the Senna and the Lamprazole are making her sick. If I have to be honest and tell her what meds I'm giving her she may still refuse. Of course, she is entitled to refuse, I don't want to bully her or abuse her trust. I just want to make sure she takes the medication which keeps her as healthy as possible without the stress.
Yes I underdstand. What I was saying is that is what you need to say to doctors. My husband didn't really know what was going on. But we have the very difficult choice of what to do. Don't think the choice is to stop the medication. As for the liquid form it is very difficult to get it. They say it costs to much.xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Yes I underdstand. What I was saying is that is what you need to say to doctors. My husband didn't really know what was going on. But we have the very difficult choice of what to do. Don't think the choice is to stop the medication. As for the liquid form it is very difficult to get it. They say it costs to much.xx
Thanks Casbow.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@nae sporran , as you're not a care home, I don't think you have an obligation to tell C you're giving her, her meds, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think the others were talking about professional rules in a hospital, care home, or other setting.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
even in a care home with consent of medics and family/Attorney meds can be administered covertly - dad's are at times given in yogurt as he will happily eat that - I wrote to his GP and said that I wanted this as it was unfair on him and the staff that he sometimes becomes anxious about taking meds
do whatever you feel is reasonable at the time

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I gave Bill his medications in his breakfast yoghurt and berries. I discussed with with the pharmacist at the GP surgery and she told me I could open a specific capsule and sprinkle it onto the yoghurt. It certainly worked well for us us.

Good luck though. I know how wearing issues like this can be.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you all again for useful tips and advice. I managed to speak to the doctor and he is increasing one of the other tablets which works for constipation and replacing the one for swallowing with a soluble alternative. It's good to know of a few strategies for the future if that des not work or the problem gets worse as dementia goes on.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
nae sporran I give Mum Senokot syrup (very occasionally), when the, also occasional, Loperamide, which I sometimes have to open and sprinkle, has done it's work too well!

I do tell her it's her medicine but can see the day coming fairly soon when there will be no point.

j9dw

Feb 18, 2017
Mum has sodium docusate for her constipation, and movicol powders or laxido powders mixed into her water. We use the drink then, for her to take the capsules. If she refuses we leave it for 15-20 minutes and then say "here are your tablets Mum, the doctor said that you had to have them for your tummy"

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl