Hallucinations

Chaiah

Feb 26, 2014
USA
First of all, I'm glad to be back. Was just under the weather for a bit,

I've begun having hallucinations. I had three, today, so far. I was out shopping and I saw my daughter who was, in reality, still at home. I was able to stop carrying on a full fledged conversation but it was enough that a two people turned to stare at me. I just started to cry and left the store.

Is this common for early onset dementia?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Just wanted to say "commiserations", experiences like these must be so hard to take.

Might it be worth asking your doctor whether tweaking your medication could help?

Chaiah

Feb 26, 2014
USA
Might it be worth asking your doctor whether tweaking your medication could help?

I've not begun any meds for this as I've refused due to all the other meds I'm on. Plus, I've had liver failure three times with the last being this past Dec and was due to my meds. I'm going to have to talk to my dr. Thanks for commiserating with me. :)

So far the hallucinations haven't spoken back. I suppose that's a good thing!

Charlyparly

Nov 26, 2006
Lancashire
Was slow to spot this post Chaiah but glad I did (better late than never!)

Have to say I'm not aware of or at least haven't known anyone that's experienced hallucinations like yours at all. That's not to say it's unusual or anything – just that I haven't personally known it before.

Do you mind me asking what your thoughts and reaction was on seeing your daughter whilst you were out? Did you immediately recognise she wasn't actually there or did you only realise this after you'd tried talking to her?

Also, is this the first time it's happened? The first time anyone has any visual or auditory hallucination is by far the most frightening so I'm genuinely curious to know how you handled it and reasoned things. That's no easy task by any stretch! :eek:

PS. Had a glance back through your posts to see if my question had already been answered in something you wrote earlier and noted how brilliantly you seem to tackling things full-blown head on and with sarcastic humour and brutal honesty all thrown into the mix. My kinda woman!! :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Chaiah

My husband had hallucinations and he wasn`t taking any dementia medication either, just diabetic medication and anti depressants.

His hallucinations were`t the same as yours, he saw people in the house, sitting in his chair, in other rooms in the house. He didn`t recognise any of them.

I asked him if he was frightened and he wasn`t , so I wasn`t either.

If these hallucinations trouble you, please ask your doctor for help. I understand medication may be limited because of other health conditions but there might be something we don`t know about which will help.

Take care Chaiah. xx

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I have had an hallucination, don't know what else you would call it! But went to get my Mobile phone and (saw) missed call from my sister I txted her said "sorry missed call" she replyed that she had not phoned me and was I alright! It threw me but checked my phone and there was NO missed call, I can still recall seeing it on my phone though!!

Aprilbabe

Apr 17, 2014
My mum has Alzheimer's and was diagnosed in 2011.
Last December I believe she suffered her first hallucination. She told us that a man had come into her flat and took off her wedding ring and told her that she didn't need it as she was not married (my parents are divorced but still wears her ring). On many occasions, she kept telling us different versions and was getting very agitated with the situation. We hunted high and low for the ring but could not find it all. Then one day in March this year, hey presto, she was wearing the ring! Hence she could not tell us where she had found the ring. I now have the ring for safe-keeping.

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
My dad had hallucinations, lots of them. He still does. It’s a visual angosia that causes his. The brain’s pathways send the wrong signals to his eyes, so what he sees - is often very different to what is really there.
I’m sorry this is happening to you. It might be helpful to google ‘visual agnosia’