Hallucinations and paranoia - should we switch my mum to anti-psychotic drugs?

Bidle

My mum has been increasingly suffering from paranoia and delusions. Usually it's that my dad isn't my dad, but some evil man who's trying to marry her or take her money. It's recently got worse, so she seems to be seeing things and can get very scared. Yesterday she wouldn't stay in their flat as she was so upset. She was hyperventilating with a full on panic attack. She's on Sertraline 100mg and that has been helping her for a few months now, but these incidents seem to be ratcheting up. Last time we were at the memory clinic, the Doctor explained if the anti depressant doesn't work, anti-psychotic drugs are the next step. I just wondered if anybody has any experience of such a switch and when it was made? Also if there are any big questions I should ask before we go down this route. I'm not sure we have much of an alternative but I know the drugs are quite heavy duty with some potentially very serious side effects, so I am obviously concerned.

Canadian Joanne

Yes, anti-psychotics can have some serious side effects but then any drug can do so. The thing is to carefully monitor the person.

My mother was on anti-psychotics for about 12 or 13 years straight. We had to change the type a couple of times, due to various reasons but had she not been on them, she would have been verbally and physically violent and aggressive. I know there has been a lot of bad press regarding these sorts of drugs but they certainly do have their place. as I said, the only thing is to monitor the person.

Bidle

Thanks for responding so quickly. It's good to hear that you thought they helped your mum. It's such a tricky balance and nobody's ever the same, so who knows really. My mum's not aggressive, but she does get so scared. If the drugs can help her live a life without all this fear, I'd be all for them!

Ludlow

Hallo Bidle,
I'm sorry your mum is having such a bad time - and of course the knock-on effect you and your dad is awful too.
My mum became very paranoid, convinced that a neighbour was out to get her. It was her only topic of conversation, despite our best attempts to distract her, she would pace around all day, constantly check locks, push furniture against doors, and couldn't sleep at night, begging to be taken away to somewhere safe.
I took the view that if things went on like this then frankly her life wasn't worth living - there was no pleasure or even peace in it - so going with anti-psychotics felt like an easy decision to me. Of course there are some risks - but so there are to some extent with any drug. It took a while to find an anti-psychotic which worked for her - the first two that were tried (quetiapine and olanzapine) made no difference to her at all. Then she was put on risperidone and I am happy to say that this has removed all her paranoia. At last she is relaxed and content and we have been able to start doing some of the things that she enjoys again, like going out to singing.
She has been on this for 6 months now and there have been no obvious or severe side effects. She is more unsteady on her feet, but that was becoming a problem before she started taking the pills, so that may just be natural progression of the dementia. She is a little quieter, but is certainly not a zombie and can still have sensible conversations on good days. In fact better than before because the subject does not always go straight back to the neighbour!
As I say, I did not have any doubts that anti-psychotics were worth a try. I had more trouble trying to get the consultant to prescribe them. I'm not sure if he just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't blame him if mum did have a stroke, but I assured him that I understood the risks and thought that mum's distress was such that there was no quality of life there.
Have you talked to your dad about this? What does he think? It must be so hard for him if your mum is not recognising him as someone who loves and cares for her. Nevertheless, he may find it more difficult than you to accept the risk on his wife's behalf. I can only say that, based on my experience with my mum, I think they are worth trying.

Bidle

Hi Ludlow, That's hugely reassuring to hear. What you say makes sense. Mum has increasingly been having these incidents and she now is constantly agitated and afraid. Her quality of life is really low and of course that has a huge impact on my father too. If we could get her to the point where she was as your mum is, they'd both be a lot happier. The consultant is calling me later this morning to discuss it all, but as they mentioned anti-psychotics last time, I am guessing that they will now suggest them. Dad really finds it all very difficult, so prefers it if I ask all of the questions and then explain them to him. It's a big responsibility though! I hope your mother continues to be relatively happy. Thanks so much for replying. It's ever so helpful to hear your experience of it all. :)

magos70

My mam is on quetiapine for paranoia. She started on 50mgs but has been on 100mgs for the past fortnight. She can appear fine one day and then the next she is aggressive, agitated and angry. I don't think the quetiapine is working for her. This is the second anti-psychotic we have tried.
She lives alone but my brother calls every day. She accuses him if stealing her things. She tells us "people" are coming in stealing from her. She has now started to use vile vicious language which is not like her at all.
I've spoken to her care team and hopefully they can change her medication. There seems to be positive views about risperidone from posts here.
It is so upsetting to see her like this. I live over 200 miles away and only get to see her at weekends when she is on her best behaviour trying to show me everything is fine. She is 74, fit and generally healthy (except for Alzheimer's!). If only the meds would work.

LadyA

My husband suffered horrific paranoia and hallucinations. He was initially tried on quetiapine, but that had no affect at all. After a couple of false starts, he was put on risperidone, and thankfully, that worked well for him. He was on it for over four years, and monitored every eight weeks or so.

Bidle

Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm a long way away too, Magos. It's so hard isn't it? I hope you find something which works for your mum soon.

LadyA it's heartening to hear that Risperidone worked for your husband. The Doctor has now prescribed that at a low dose for mum, so hopefully it will work for her too.