Had an exciting day!

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Just thought you might be interested to learn that I met the Princess Royal today. I was invited to meet her when she opened a new ‘Smart Lodge’ which is a house that has been fitted out with Assistive Technology, a range of equipment to support people to live independently in their own homes.

The princess was most interested in the Lodge and spent some time with me asking about my husband and the kind of aids that would help him now and in the future.

It was quite informal and the princess put everyone at ease, was obviously well informed and thought it very innovative to use the old Lodge in this way and putting the range of equipment in a homelike setting to make it easier for all to see it in action was a really good idea.

Some of the items that might help my husband are a telephone with spaces for pictures so that instead of dialling a number (which he can no longer do unaided) he just presses the appropriate persons picture, a clock that has day.date,month and time and a locked medicine dispenser that releases medication at the right time and beeps until it is taken.

I was fortunate that the princess stopped to speak to me again at some length about any other support available to carers and I was able to tell her about the complimentary therapies available through the carers group,reflexology, shoulder/head massage, hand massage and chiropody, so Flintshire are doing their best to keep carers healthy!

Myself and the other carer chosen to attend were given lovely baskets of daffodils as a reminder of a lovely day.

Linda :)

Last edited:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
How very fascinating ! I'm assuming that is a very rare opportunity and how wonderful that your were able to be so informative. I hope many good things will happen as a result.
Debbie

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to get my mother's house and my own house fitted out with some of that technology.

And to have some of that complimentary chiropody and massage. Takes so much time to find everything and fit it all in.

Lila

lou lou

Nov 9, 2005
London
Well Linda,

Hobnobbing with Royalty !

Baskets of daffodils conjurs up a wonderful spring like image.

So !..................when do you get to post the Photo's ?

This "assistive technology" sounds good. I could certainly have done with the pill dispenser although I doubt it would have coped with the 17 different kinds of medication my mother was on at one time.

Another confusion that took a while to register is that when the district nurses came in at night to give my mum her medication when I couldn't be there, they would only dispense the medication from the packet and not from the pill dispenser, you live and learn.

kind regards

Lou Lou