grinding teeth non-stop

chuan

Jul 12, 2013
Singapore
Hi, it is a long time since I last posted.

My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's since 2011.
It has progressed rapidly, she is now in a critical stage which affect her ability
to speak.
Of late she starts to grind her teeth continuously so much so that many are chipped off and the remains start to decay badly.
Due to pain, she takes only liquid food since.
The dentists, we consulted, refused to ease her pain because in my country, Singapore, I need a legal consent to act on her behalf.
This legal procedure (have to engage lawyer) takes about one year.
In the meantime, IS THERE ANY MEDICATION TO CONTROL HER ACTION?
WHAT CAUSES HER TO GRIND, EVEN WHEN SHE FEELS PAIN?

Thank you.
CHUAN.
Singapore

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi chuan
what a horrible position you find yourselves in - I hope you will be able to get the paperwork done for the dentist to act
I'm not very knowledgeable on painkillers; maybe speak to your local pharmacist, they have a lot of experience to draw on and may well be able to suggest medication you can buy - and may even be able to make a suggestion about the teeth grinding
I know some people grind their teeth when they sleep - and we do clench our teeth when in pain, so your poor wife may be in a bit of a catch 22 situation
are you able to have a chat with her doctor (here it would be her General Practitioner)? they may have some ideas?

sorry not to be of much help
best wishes

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Hi chuan. I am from Brazil. My mother used to grin her teeth too. Last year a dentist removed all off them and she is now pain free.

For years, my Mother had Botox on her face muscles so her grin did hurt her less. (However Botox can be used no more than 4 times a year and sometimes I'd didn't work.

chuan

Jul 12, 2013
Singapore
Hi chuan
what a horrible position you find yourselves in - I hope you will be able to get the paperwork done for the dentist to act
I'm not very knowledgeable on painkillers; maybe speak to your local pharmacist, they have a lot of experience to draw on and may well be able to suggest medication you can buy - and may even be able to make a suggestion about the teeth grinding
I know some people grind their teeth when they sleep - and we do clench our teeth when in pain, so your poor wife may be in a bit of a catch 22 situation
are you able to have a chat with her doctor (here it would be her General Practitioner)? they may have some ideas?

sorry not to be of much help
best wishes

Hi Shedrech,
Thank you. Trying to act fast. Will talk to her doctor, a neurologist. Feeling sad, everyday see her taking only liquid food. she refuses solid food. Thanks a lot.
Chuan.

chuan

Jul 12, 2013
Singapore
Hi chuan. I am from Brazil. My mother used to grin her teeth too. Last year a dentist removed all off them and she is now pain free.

For years, my Mother had Botox on her face muscles so her grin did hurt her less. (However Botox can be used no more than 4 times a year and sometimes I'd didn't work.

Hi Ana,
Thank you. Have in mind to remove all her teeth. I still have to obtain a legal consent to act on my wife's behalf first. It takes about a year.
Really sad, now cannot do anything. Thanks a lot.
Chuan.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Hi Ana,
Thank you. Have in mind to remove all her teeth. I still have to obtain a legal consent to act on my wife's behalf first. It takes about a year.
Really sad, now cannot do anything. Thanks a lot.
Chuan.

Can you ask for some emergency authorisation. Just for her teeth explaining that she is on pain?