Grandpa has dementia

Innsightjoanna

Oct 21, 2018
Hi I am new to this forum. My grandpa has dementia and I am not sure what to do. He has had rectal bleeding (a lot) when he goes to the bathroom. All his vitals are fine the EMT said but he refuses to go to the hospital and they refuse to treat if he declines. Anyway this has been going on for about 4 days yesterday he became very upset and was threw his plate and cup and broke them. The past 2 days he has refused any food saying he is not hungry. He has been talking about God and his dead brother as if they were there visiting him. I am at a loss on how to help him if he is refusing everything. Any ideas on what could be going on? His doctor said she can see him but not until the 30th.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Innsightjoanna, that must be very distressing but you are welcome here and I hope you will find support and information on the forum.

It does sound as if some illness/infection is causing a downturn. It may be a good idea to check your grandpa for an infection. Maybe the GP surgery could help with that.

The easy answer is to get your grandpa to the hospital A&E but I realise that is easier said than done.

Innsightjoanna

Oct 21, 2018
Hello @Innsightjoanna, that must be very distressing but you are welcome here and I hope you will find support and information on the forum.

It does sound as if some illness/infection is causing a downturn. It may be a good idea to check your grandpa for an infection. Maybe the GP surgery could help with that.

The easy answer is to get your grandpa to the hospital A&E but I realise that is easier said than done.
Thank you for answering my question. It has been a long road with him and I know it is going to get worse I am just unsure what stage he is in or what type of dementia he has if there is a difference in what to expect. I would put him in a home but my fear is if he will be treated right and when he does pass will he be alone. He does still communicate and can get up on his own so it does not seem he is at the end stage. I am hoping his primary doctor can determine what is going on but the 30th is a long time away.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello again @Innsightjoanna, it may help to have a look at the Society Publications list as there is a lot of info about all things dementia related, including the various types. I found I was able to predict my wife’s diagnosis quite accurately using these. The list can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

It can help to bring a list of all the symptoms that are being displayed to the doctor as a history is very important when deciding on any diagnosis. I always bring a list with me when attending the GP or Memory Clinic as that ensures a full picture is given and nothing is missed.

It is an unfortunate reality that getting a diagnosis can take quite a long time so the waiting for appointments and test results etc can be frustrating as we have to deal with things in the meantime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C