grandmother with dementia

casper57

Dec 10, 2017
my grandmother has just been advised she has dementia which she is in complete denial about. both myself and my mother are her main primary carers and not sure how to deal with the illness. is there someone who we could sit down and speak with and get support from as our doctors are a waste of space!
at the moment we are finding it hard to get her to wash regularly and also change her clothes as she believes she has only put the item on clean but can have it on for up to a week and it upsets her when we say anything to her.
we are also going through a battle with her neighbours and that she is hard of hearing and keeps the tv loud and we have tried asking her to turn It down but she soon forgets and it goes back up again. we have tried talking to the neighbours but they don't really care as its effecting their sleep and now the neighbours have got the police and council involved.
any help would be much appreciated.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
If you can Casper, have a good read around this forum and the website.

Having had both grandmothers go through dementia I thought I knew a lot about it, now Mum has it and actually, I knew very little - certainly about coping strategies!
I found this forum about 3 years ago and read and read and learned a lot.

Get in touch with your local Adult services at your LA, for an assessment for your grandmother and for carers assessments for you and your Mum.
Also, see if there is a Carers Support Centre in your area, they can signpost you to (some) help and act as advocates should you need them
(Sorry, can't post links at moment, Google will help).

Most importantly, read and post here for advice, best forum, ever.
Best wishes to you, it's a tough job but has it's rewards.

casper57

Dec 10, 2017
thanks prudenoe. I will have a look around this get some advice. just new to it and but seems a great place to get advice from people actually going through with caring for people with dementia. I think we are going to call the local support team tomorrow and see what services can be given to help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pen7