Grandmother recently diagnosed - scared, denial, sense of loss

xparadisepinkx

Dec 2, 2014
Hi,

My Grandmother got diagnosed with Early onset of Mixed Dementia back in February this year. She has taken it on the chin and accepted the diagnosis very quickly - in her words, it's a relief it's dementia and not a brain tumour.

However, I can't say I'm coping as well. I thought I was, until tonight.

A bit of background info is needed here: I'm 23 but have lived with my grandparents since I was 9. I look at them as my rock, especially my nan. When I found out her diagnosis I went through stages of denial and a sense of loss. But I thought I had accepted things considering this all happened in February.

Tonight, my nan insisted on cooking. Although it was a simple meal she got flustered and ended up bursting into tears because it went slightly wrong. My grandad comforted her and I reassured her but it got me thinking. It hit me hard how much she has changed over the last few months. It's almost as if I've been in denial over everything. I have no idea how to deal with this sense of loss that I have, even though she is still the same person and still here.

She was put on medication at the time of diagnosis but had to be taken off it not long after due to it interacting with one of her another drugs. She was meant to be trialling something else but the clinic has been cancelled twice. She now has an appointment tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that during the appointment the possibility of further medication will be discussed.

I'm not quite sure what I expect from this post but I guess I just needed to get my feelings out. I don't feel like I can talk openly about this with my family even though they try and encourage it. My Fiancé is incredibly supportive but he doesn't know what to say, etc.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Say it here

You have put your finger on a problem. No one knows what to say. That is why it is good to unburden yourself on TP. There is always a chance that someone will share your circumstances and give you good advice. They will always sympathise because we share one thing in common - sadly that is the experience of dementia.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello, and a warm welcome to Talking Point, although I'm so sorry to hear about your nan's diagnosis. When I found out my mam had Alzheimer's, it hit me like a ton of bricks even though I'd suspected it for a while. To actually have it named was still a shock.

I'm sorry you are going through this at such a young age when you should have few worries. There are other young people on here who know just how you feel. I am 49, and one of my daughters is close to your age, but I still struggle to cope with things.

TP is a great place to come and ask for support, comfort and advice if you need it. It's also a good place to come to rant and rage and let your feelings out, especially if that's difficult to do with family and friends.

Do keep posting, there's a wealth of experience on here.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Welcome from me too.
I am sorry to hear about your Nan and how upset she was when she became flustered when cooking dinner.

I hope you find TP as helpful and supportive as I have . It is a good place to come when you need to talk to people who understand .
We also have lots of knowledgeable people on here , who will help with any questions you may have.

The Son

Account Closed
Dec 4, 2014
It's great that her husband was supportive, my dads is 83 and does not understand and shouts at mom, then they argue, so if i could get him to understand, that would be 50% of the problem solved.