Grandma recently diagnosed & tantrums

herschy82

Dec 19, 2016
Hi
Hoping for some advice on my grandma. She recently got diagnosed with early onset of Alzheimers. She is under the care of a neurologist at the local hospital as she is currently suffering from Musical Ear Syndrome and seizures. She started to experience auditory hallucinations (in the form of music) back in April and she was referred to a neurologist and was diagnosed with musical ear syndrome. At the same time she had an eeg and it showed abnormal activity which he diagnosed as a form of epilepsy. She then went for a memory test and scored low and was diagnosed with Alzheimers. Since then things have gone downhill quite dramatically and we as a family are struggling to cope with her. She experienced a seizure and was in hospital for 10 days until care was sorted for her. She barely home for a few days and had an almighty meltdown and had to go into respite care. The care was good but it was for those who have very advanced dementia and she is not at that stage and she was desperate to come home. The care worker met with her and judged her capable of making decisions. She begged to come home but within a few hours of her being home she threw a tantrum and said she couldn't cope. My grandma has always been a very difficult person and has frequently had tantrums when she doesn't get her own way. We are struggling to know what is real and what is not with her. She has always behaved like this but not to this degree. We cannot ignore incase it is serious but we are so worn out as a family trying to cope with her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LAF15

Dec 19, 2016
Hi my nan is in the later stages of alzheimers as she has had it for about 9/10 years.

The best advice i can say is keep pushing for her to be assessed and re- assessed. It can progress really quickly or look not as advanced to outsiders when it actually is.

An occupational therapist was visiting my nan and grandads house for about the past two years and for want of a better word she was rubbish. Just before my nan had to be admitted the memory clinic where also wanting to discharge her, its only that the local doctors where so supportive that they insisted that the clinic didnt.

My nan is still in an assessment unit and has been there since May, this is meant to be a stop gap for people going into homes, but unfortunately when she went into one they did not have the facilities to cope with her so she was sent back. After she was admitted to the unit social workers got involved and said this should have happened years ago and that she has not received the care that she deserved basically. Its only a credit to my grandad and close family that she was able to remain home for so long.

Please keep pushing for help, you know your family best and frequent outbursts are a clear sign that it is progressing. Best of luck!

herschy82

Dec 19, 2016
Hi my nan is in the later stages of alzheimers as she has had it for about 9/10 years.

The best advice i can say is keep pushing for her to be assessed and re- assessed. It can progress really quickly or look not as advanced to outsiders when it actually is.

An occupational therapist was visiting my nan and grandads house for about the past two years and for want of a better word she was rubbish. Just before my nan had to be admitted the memory clinic where also wanting to discharge her, its only that the local doctors where so supportive that they insisted that the clinic didnt.

My nan is still in an assessment unit and has been there since May, this is meant to be a stop gap for people going into homes, but unfortunately when she went into one they did not have the facilities to cope with her so she was sent back. After she was admitted to the unit social workers got involved and said this should have happened years ago and that she has not received the care that she deserved basically. Its only a credit to my grandad and close family that she was able to remain home for so long.

Please keep pushing for help, you know your family best and frequent outbursts are a clear sign that it is progressing. Best of luck!

Thank you for advice.. with my grandma is hard to tell what's alzheimers and what's her having a tantrum... It's not out of character to have them, in actual fact it is very much part of her character when she doesn't get her own way. We are just finding it hard to distinguish between the two.
Your grandad and family sound amazing. I hope nan gets the care she needs and deserves ... Best of luck xx